Grout manufacturers and color matched caulk? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout manufacturers and color matched caulk?

cb9209
09-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll be grouting the tiles in the next day or two. Currently planning on using PolyBlend "Quartz" as this was the closest color. However, I never checked other stores, I was only at HD.

Question is, is polyblend a good product? Is Lacticrete better? Polyblend does not have Quartz in the caulk which is odd to me. Is there any place or any way I can get color matched caulking? Has anyone ever mixed two colors, the way painters do then spread it..maybe using one of those things bakers use with frosting?

To be honest, I'm scared of messing up the mixture of any grout. My only other tile job was done by premixed grout, I knew what I was getting.

Anyone have any suggestions and tips for mixtures. If I were to put a couple spare tiles together and spread grout on, would the color of wet grout match what will be when it's dry? Or should I do the test area and let it dry to check for satisfactory results?

Sponsored Links

far2muchwork2do
09-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm just a newbie, but just finished a 600 sf tile job, and the grout color (Marble Beige) changed as it dried, then again, ever so slightly after it was sealed.
It is lighter and paler than the color on the brochure..... it is Laticrete, from Lowe"s...

I'd be interested to know your experience with the HD grout and it's color-trueness when you're all done, as I am prepping for another tile project

Houston Remodeler
09-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Cherie,

There are a lot of factors that can change a grouts final color. The two biggest being the amount of water used to mix the grout and the amount of water used in cleaning the grout reside/ haze.

Tool Guy - Kg
09-02-2010, 09:55 PM
...ands not letting the grout slake & re-mixing
...and variances in the speed that the grout dries due to:
-porosity of tile
-a tile area near an open door with a breeze running through
-sunlight beating on part of the tiled area
-glazing differences on the sides of tiles
-variances in grout width/depth

The point is, grout can be finicky when it comes to drying to a consistent color. The most true-to-color, very consistent color grout I've used is Laticrete's Permacolor (for sanded grout applications) and SpectraLock. For me, this is what I use every time for every job, if I can help it. And to make things even better, Laticrete has a lot 100% silicone sealants color-matched to their grout colors.

:)

Topspin
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Although not helpful to you, from a contractors point of view I change the spelling of the words "color matched" by dropping two letters . . . Instead calling it "color mated" caulk/silicone. Mated meaning close sometimes, but no cigar other times. Second the recommendation for Laticrete products tho.

cb9209
09-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks. I think I will take a trip over to Lowes and check out what they have.

I am definitely going to do a test square. But if I understand right, consistency should be no lumps and peanut buttery. Should it be thick and stick to trowel or a creamy peanut butter than will start to sag and fall.

Tool Guy - Kg
09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
There's a difference between mixing unsanded and sanded. To start, pay close attention to the bag for mixing up the grout with the proper amount of water. Chop the bag in half or in whatever fraction is necessary to keep from mixing up more grout than you can use during its pot life.

How much tile are you grouting and what is the grout width you're working with? We can give you an idea of how much grout to mix up at a time.

:)

tileguynky
09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Also, quartz is available in caulk for polyblend. It might not be available at Home Depot. I have used that color with caulk numerous times. Try a Daltile or a local tile store that might carry Custom Buildong Products, the maker of polyblend.
Posted via Mobile Device

cb9209
09-03-2010, 03:29 PM
The tiles are 6x6 and 12x12 with 3/16 grout lines. I've looked online everywhere and can't find any reference to quartz caulking from polyblend.

cb9209
09-04-2010, 06:08 AM
I did some reading and now I'm wondering if I got bad advice.

Let me start by saying that my personal preference is sanded grout. however, I was told that because I have a 6" strip of glass tile which has a grout line of 1/8", I should use unsanded. So that's what I bought in the quartz.

I'm now reading that I should be using sanded for grout lines over 1/8". Should I mix and use sanded everywhere else, and unsanded for the glass tile. Obviously I don't want to scratch the glass with the sanded. Is it even something I should worry about? I suppose I could swipe some sanded over spare glass tile to see what happens.

cx
09-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Welcome, Chad. :)

Testing on some spare tiles is a very good idea. I would use sanded grout for your installation if possible, and certainly where the joints are larger than one-eighth-inch.

My opinion; worth price charged.

cb9209
09-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Ok so I grouted the shower, as I was grouting I was so pleased with the color. As it dried, I am not so pleased. I can't tell if it's an efflorescense problem or just the color of the grout. The joints are a cream color. In the small ridges of the porcelain tile it has dried grout which is the same color so my guess is it's just the color.

I was going to try a product on it but says to wait until grout has cured for 10 days. Anyone have any tips to tell for sure if it's efflorescence or just natural color?

When the grout gets wet, it's dark, like the color I was expecting. When dry, it's too light

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/4964656263_0335744a33.jpg

The darker shade is wet via spray bottle
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/4964655263_e012eee1d8.jpg

Dry grout. Very light
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/4964654485_434a006742.jpg