Re-grouting wavy-edged tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Re-grouting wavy-edged tile

Thee.mb
08-30-2010, 12:40 AM
The 1' wavy-edged tile is light colored and the grout is black in a small area which makes it look quite out of place. Also, the grout is only approximately half way to the top of the tile which makes it extremely uncomfortable to walk/stand.

Is there any prep for grouting over the existing grout?
What would be the optimum grout to use?
How can it successfully be grouted to make a smooth floor and keep the "wave" in the grout 'line'?
The tile has a lot of natural pits. The grout color would blend fine, so could the pits be grouted as well?
Would the floater be the tool, as well, for grouting the pits?
Could you grout the pits without sealing the floor?
If not, what type of sealer(s) would you recommend for the grout lines and/or the entire floor?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
08-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Marlin, welcome to the forum.

The SOP is to remove the grout to a depth of 2/3rds the tile, then grout it. Is this your typical cement based grout...or an epoxy grout?

The best grout to use depends on what your application here is and what kind of tile you have.

Yes, a grout float is the tool to work the grout into the groutlines (and the pits of the tile if that's what needs to be done). We can't "see" what you have there unless you share. Can you tell us if this is a man made ceramic/porcelain tile...or a natural stone tile? How wide are the grout lines? What room is this floor tile in? Perhaps you could post a picture?

:)

Thee.mb
08-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Hi Bubba,

Thank you for the quick response.

Although it has a nice look of natural stone, I am fairly certain it is man-made tile. It is too uniform. (It has a look of Travertine...an older version).
The grout wave lines range from 1/4" to 1/2". The corner areas are 1" diagonally.
There is a 1/4" sort of beveling around the edges of the tile that is a slightly different color that it seems the grout should have covered.
I am clueless regarding the type of grout used. If you can tell me "how to tell", then I will do my best to determine.
I will send a photo as soon as I can (Equipment is still packed.) It is in a long, narrow kitchen.

How do you remove 2/3 of the grout?

Thank you.

Houston Remodeler
08-30-2010, 06:56 AM
There are a variety of ways;

1- a dremel - kinda slow, tool gets hot, use up a number of those discs
2- grout grabber - Linked over there-> fast, cheap, can easily scratch a tile if you miss the grout line
3- grout removal tool - manual device, pictured below, sometimes sold as a CBU scoring tool. Medium work, can gouge a tile if you miss the grout line

tileman2000
08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
The tool pictured is what I use.If time isn't an issue,that's the best way for a diy'er to remove grout without damaging the tile.IMO of course.

Thee.mb
08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Paul and Michael,

Thank you so much. I have my work cut out for me.

Kindest regards,
Marlin