Color between Lat. Sand Beige and Choc Truff [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Color between Lat. Sand Beige and Choc Truff

grymes56
08-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I am having a hell of a time finding a shade of grout that works with a particular tile. I have settled on the brown family and was planning on using Laticrete Permacolor for the job but there seems to be a gap in the Laticrete color chart for browns. Chocolate Truffle #43 is too dark, and the next lighter shade is Sand Beige #30 which is too light. The perfect shade I am looking ro is actually what Sand Beige looks like when mixed/still wet.

I really wanted to use Permacolor - but if there is another brand with the exact shade I need I might be willing to switch. Anyone familiar enough with brown grouts to offer a suggestion? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Levi the Tile Guy
08-29-2010, 11:19 AM
I pulled out my grout samples from laticrete, Mapei, and Custom and don't really see anything that is inbetween those shades w/o red or another color in it.

Something that may work for you is to mix the tow grouts you like together. Dry mix them very thoughourly first and then mix a little, put between some scrap tiles with the correct size grout joint, and let dry and see if you get a color you like. I would mix quite a bit less of the chocolate truffle into the mix though or you may end up too dark.

Houston Remodeler
08-29-2010, 12:24 PM
We have dry mixed grouts together before. Just make sure you mix enough to start with, or use whole units to get accurate color

hbrothberg
08-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Interesting situation ...

No guarantees regarding matching a color chart ....

But ....

Sure ...

Take the two PermaColor grouts - sand beige and chocolate truffle - thoroughly dry mix them ...

And then make a test installation with the tile in question ...!

And ...

Thank you for considering / using PermaColor ...!

Henry

grymes56
08-29-2010, 01:16 PM
So I just mixed 1:1 some Sand Beige 1500 that I had with some of the Choc Truffle Permacolor and I got the EXACT color I was looking for. Obviously I wont use the 1500 for the actual mixture - I'll get more Permacolor in Sand Beige.

I guss I am S.O.L. on getting the Latisil to match now though, lol Oh well - I'd rather have the grout be the exact color I want than the little bit of caulking.

Also - a public thanks to HRothberg for being so generous as to send samples of Permacolor to ensure it wouldnt scratch soft marble (it didnt - and I ground the stuff into a test board HARD and couldnt get it to scratch).

Levi the Tile Guy
08-29-2010, 01:31 PM
glad it worked for you kyle. Just make sure you dry mix both grouts very thoroughly before adding water or you could end up with splotching or discoloration in parts.

grymes56
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
yeah I'll dry drill mix the whole shebang for a while - and make sure to make up enough to do the whole job, since I'll probably need install it in a few batches.