India slate in shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : India slate in shower

shurley1
08-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I am the new guy, John. I am installing slate in my bathrooms,(floor and walls in shower and around garden tub) I removed the green board but the drywall remains. Should I remove it (drywall) and place the vapor barrier or can I place the vapor barrier over the drywall and then place the CBU?

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
08-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Welcome to the forum, John. :wave:

It's much more common these days to take the drywall out, apply the moisture barrier to the studs...then build back with your tiling substrate. This keeps you from having to deal with the 1/2" gap on the ends of your tile install from having to be addressed. With the disappearing mud jobs, mud caps that cover the edges are disappearing as well. With your desire for tile on the shower floor, can we assume you're tearing out whatever you have currently and replacing it with a shower pan constructed of a curb/clamping drain/preslope/liner/mud?

But let's talk about that India slate. Probably a pretty poor choice for a wet shower due to it coming apart with moisture. Unfortunately, some tile being sold as "slate" is more like hard, glorified mud. Soak a piece or two in a bucket of water overnight, then scrub it with a nylon brush and you're likely to see the water turning muddy from the slate.

:)

shurley1
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
ToolGuy - KG Yes I am tearing out the existing pan , it is the reason for the remodel. I am going to buy a preslop pan and drain but the curb I am not sure due to the odd shape shower, also I was going to use a Vermont 1"x1"x12" in the pan. The India was going to be on the walls and around the garden tub. I think I am going to take the slate back to the vendor and find a ceramic.

shurley1
08-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I was told that the India slate is not a wise choice in the shower. I wanted to use Vermont 1"x1'X12" is this a good slate or will it fall apart? I am going to return the India slate and go with a ceramic. Should I use a vapor barrier between the plywood and CBU around the garden tub? Thanks for your time.

Levi the Tile Guy
08-28-2010, 12:30 PM
John I think you are making the correct choice in taking the slate back. I absolutely love the look of slate but it has it's place and a shower is not it.

umahunter
08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
don't forget there are some slate look a likes out there that will give you the look with out the mud effect:tup1:

Houston Remodeler
08-28-2010, 12:43 PM
John,

We have a one project one thread thing going on 'round these parts. It keeps everything in one nice spot, keeps things from gettin lost, (mostly us reading along) and allows you to bookmark the thread to keep adding and find your answers.

Pretty cool eh?

shurley1
08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Paul I understand. I thought there were differnt forum areas to post for differnt questions. I did not reallize it to be togather.