new project - 1200sqft patio tile with pool area [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : new project - 1200sqft patio tile with pool area

azjulian
08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Hello again - you were all exceptionally helpful last time I got some help and installed kerdi shower (which is fantastic).

Today I am putting slate tile over my concrete patio and pool area and have a 2 questions

1. The slabs have drainage channels every ten foot or so, what is the bast way to transition the tile to the drainage channel? Is it best to leave an ungrouted exposed line over it or is there a product I can use to continue the channel.

2. Anyone have any good patterns for mixing 16x16 and 12x12 tiles?

Julian

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
08-19-2010, 08:54 PM
drainage channels? :scratch:

you sure they arent "expansion joints" ?:tup1:

pinwheel or hopscotch patterns work with 2 sized tile

azjulian
08-19-2010, 09:31 PM
no they are drainage channels, made of pvc cut into long rectangular sections with holes exposed at the top to channel rain water etc

ceramictec
08-19-2010, 10:00 PM
ok, sometimes they use thin ones, around a 1/2 to 3/4" and they are used as expansion.

since your drain lines are set in the concrete there isnt much you can do.
if you tile to them and cut short you will have an ugly deep groove in your tile work.

you might be able to chop them out and reset new ones.

azjulian
08-19-2010, 10:06 PM
problem is if I use hopscotch which looks really nice Ill end up with a cut from one side to the other for the expansion/drainage - :(

azjulian
08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Can I cover the expansion / drainage with schluter-dilex but cut the dilex into 2 inch sections and leave 1/4" gaps in between each to allow water to drain through ?

azjulian
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Bump

Davestone
08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
You're either gonna have to leave a gap and hope the edges over the drain don't crack off,especially since it's slate,or use one of the deck drains, cut the bottom out and silicone it in.I like the 2" drain the third one in the pic for this...http://www.quakerplastic.com/deck-drains-pool.html

cx
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Julian, you might have better luck if you post some photos of what you're dealing with. I, for one, got no eye-dee, eh?

I can't see you doing much good cutting up the Dilex like that. I presume you mean the BWS?

If your gap is no wider than that, and you want water to run into it, why pewt anything in there at all?

My opinion; worth price charged.

timinaz
10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Hey Julian, It is a long shot but I am hoping you get this email. I am about to slate around my pool and am desperite to get some answers from those who have it. What king of slate did you use. Where in AZ are you. My concer is heart. How hot does it gt for you in the summer. I understand it will be hot and sting. Are you able to walk uncomfortably on it. Does it burn your arm when reating on the side of the pool. Do you have dogs and if so, are they ok walking on it in the middle of the summer.

cx
10-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Welcome, Tim. :)

Rather than posting your question on multiple years-old threads, you might wanna start a project thread of your own with information on your particular installation and see if you don't get better results.

dhagin
10-16-2013, 01:07 PM
You've posted your own thread here somewhere else? Under what user name? :)

dhagin
10-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Tim. I've already started one for you here. :tup1:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109695