Advice? Gap between tub and tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Advice? Gap between tub and tile

garrettdoc
06-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I replaced my tub but kept the tile walls above. So I only had to replace the bottom course of tile to get the new tub in. Well the new tub is a little shorter than the old one and now there is a 3/4" to 1/2" gap between that course and the tub. I was about to start cutting slivers of tile to set in there but I figured I'd ask for some advice first. Thanks for reading. Here's a picture.

Sponsored Links

cx
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Welcome, Garrett. :)

Since you're fixin' to have a very obvious "feature" row there, you could just get some larger tiles and cut them to fit.

Still gonna look pretty bad down the side, there. :(

But since you really have no proper waterproofing for those walls (this tub has a shower?) and since Mrs. Garrett prolly wanted a new tile installation anyway, I think I'd be inclined to tear everything out and make a new shower to go with my new tub. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

custombuilt
06-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Complete gut!
Maybe he has mud walls behind there and didn't want to tearout for that reason?

I would buy some larger white tiles and cut them to fit. At least it would match with the wall color. Then again none of that will match your new tub so, complete gut!

garrettdoc
06-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. It does have a shower. It is an old house and the existing tile walls don't have ideal waterproofing. A complete gut and redo would be best I suppose. This is part of a bathroom renovation, and it's ironic, but the tile shower walls were the only thing that "Mrs. Garrett" wanted to remain of the old bathroom. (She picked the blue for the new bottom row to match the new wall paint color.)

Davy
06-20-2010, 11:47 AM
If the blue tiles are already stuck to the wall, I would look for a 1/2 inch liner piece that would fit in there.