Do I have to use backerboard? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to use backerboard?

wnhinch
04-10-2010, 08:02 AM
I've got a pier and beam house and am tiling my kitchen. 1x6 t&G subfloor over which we installed 3/4 topnotch 350 t&g, (an LP OSB subfloor product treated for water resistance) screwed every 8-10 inches for a total subfloor of 1.5". The deflecto says L/571 so I'm good for my 18" ceramic tile.

Here's the question: I'm tiling around existing cabinets and if I add hardibacker over the subfloor, my dishwasher won't fit in easily. Do I have to use the backerboard?

Thanks,

Wes

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
04-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Welcome to the forum, Wes.:)

You need a suitable tiling substrate, but it doesn't have to be cement board. You might consider Ditra (http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx). It will save you some depth.

Tim K
04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
If you don't tile under the dishwasher it still might fit wit a little effort. Just tile far enough past the cabnits to allow the trim on the dishwasher to cover the tile.

wnhinch
04-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys. I like the ditra idea, but can't buy it locally. So I just went w/ the Hardi. I'm going to replace the dishwasher before tiling to hopefully postpone any maintenance.

I've really enjoyed the forum. I work with a lot of contractors and am amazed at how many don't follow the basic steps outlined here. Very informative and it's made me decide to do lots of the work myself, rather than hire someone who's going to cut corners.

Regards,

W

Lazarus
04-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Stop in anytime, Wes....don't be a stranger.....