Wonderboard question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wonderboard question

blackbird1582
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I am in the process of redoing our Kitchen floor and had a question regarding the installation of wonderboard. I know I need to use thinset to attach the wonderboard to the subfloor. The previous owner of the house had vinyl tile laid on top of hardwood floors. When I removed the plywood they had the old tile laid on top of there was a layer of black felt paper from the previously removed vinyl tiles. Is it ok to apply the thinset directly to the hardwood/feltpaper or should I put a thin layer of underlayment down and thinset the wonderboard to the underlayment. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
04-08-2010, 02:13 PM
No, it's not OK to install backerboard directly over sawn lumber like hardwood flooring. You must first install a layer of 1/2" plywood, then your underlayment of choice. The black paper must be removed from the hardwood before installing the new plywood.

blackbird1582
04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the Advice. Just curious whats the reasoning behind removing the black felt paper?

John Bridge
04-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi and welcome aboard. Please give us a first name. :)

The felt might somehow cause voids between the layers. Best to remove it. When you install the new plywood screw it only to the subfloor, not to the joists.

blackbird1582
04-11-2010, 06:22 PM
I am planning on tiling my kitchen floor over the next few weeks. I removed the old tile floor to find a layer of plywood (also removed) and found hardwood floors underneath. I am curious as to what subflooring options I have. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dhagin
04-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Is that a hardwood finish floor over something else you have OR a plank subfloor attached to the joists?

cx
04-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Chris, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on on thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one. :)

blackbird1582
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
The Hardwoods are original to the house (1927) and they are over plank subfloor attached to the joists. Thanks.

bbcamp
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Chris, the easiest thing is to remove the hardwood, add at least 1/2" of plywood, then a membrane or backerboard and your tile. By taking out the old hardwood, you gain almost 3/4" of height for your new materials.