drilling hole in porcelain - hammer mode or not? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : drilling hole in porcelain - hammer mode or not?

CountryBumkin
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I need to drill a couple of holes in my new porcelain tile to install a shower grab bar. I noticed (or at least it sounds like) when the shower glass guys where drilling their holes for the panel mounting clips they used the hammer mode on their drill.

Is that the way it is supposed to be done? I would have thought the hammering mode would crack the tile. Also, is there a special type bit for porcelain (when using the hammer mode). I had a couple of diamond coated bits and spade type bit - but both are junk now.
I need to make 5/16 inch holes.

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Mike, don't use the hammer-mode. Correct....you'll split the tile. The best bit for you would be a circular, diamond-encrusted bit. Cheap but adequate one's I've seen at Harbor Freight. Available online as well. I'm sure someone will chime in here with a link. Go slow and keep the bit and hole wet with a sponge or mister....

CountryBumkin
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks. It did seem strange to me that they would use hammer mode - but that is the sound it was making (I have drilled pleanty of holes in concrete and block). Possibly just my old ears playing tricks on me or the model of drill the guys had. I didn't think to ask them when they were working.
Anyway, I'll pick up a tile bit at HD today since I need (want) to get this bar installed this weekend.
Thanks again.

scuttlebuttrp
04-02-2010, 06:48 PM
We always used a hammer drill with a masonry bit.
Yes sometimes the tile cracks; but that's half the excitement.:crazy:
Alpha also makes dry core bits. Not sure if they have a 5/16" though.

Edit: 1/2" is the smallest dry bit they make.
http://www.alpha-tools.com/Product.aspx?PageCode=570