Bad Ditra install [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ditra install

gary5410
03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I decided have a "professional" install 413 sq. ft. of Ditra rather than do it myself.........I was sick when I got home! Ripply, places unattached, air under, wrinkles, some grey from the thinset shows through, but mostly not! Now what? I assume it must come off. :confused: I think he may have had the thinset too stiff/thick. Spots look like too much thinset. HELP!
Gary :crazy:

Sponsored Links

dhagin
03-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. Can you post some photos? Close ups of what you describe above?

If it's gotta come off, the sooner the better. You'll have to scrape thinset as well.

Also, any info on the install will help. Is it installed over wood or concrete or ? What thinset mortar did they use? When did it go down? What trowel did they use? Did they use a float to embed Ditra into mortar?

gary5410
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Flexbond is the thinset. here are some pics..........

gary5410.smugmug.com/Other/Floor/11678888_6Rrr2#824018645_LRFbf

I couldn't post the link???? add thw 3w's and the dot to the beginning

cx
03-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Gary, you can post photos directly from your computer using the Manage Attachments feature below the Reply dialog box. Make the photos permanent in your thread that way and they don't disappear later. :)

JTile
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Yup, that doesn't look good. Looks like maybe they didn't iron it out flat after they installed it. Just layed it down and left.... As mentioned earlier, the sooner you pull it up the better. Are you sure this "installer" was competent to do the work?

gary5410
03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Over Advantech floor...sorry forgot that!

gary5410
03-30-2010, 08:51 PM
CX-
I was trying to post them and I couldn't figure it out, so I posted them to my smugmug site where you can view full screen.....thought it might be better so you could see detail.
Thanks

dhagin
03-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Until you have a few more posts, you can use the "manage attachments" button below the reply box. It's an anti-spam thing.

From above; When did it go down? What trowel did they use? Did they use a float to embed Ditra into mortar?

Hard to tell from the photos, but those high areas are certainly no good. Is there air under all those or are some filled with mortar? Are these high spots, ripply spots & areas where 'thinset shows through' throughout the whole floor or localized/limited to a certain area? What percentage is unattached or appears to not be attached well?

Seems they may have used too big a notched trowel and troweled out too much at a time allowing it to skin over...??? Looks like it certainly got away from them. First timers for Ditra maybe???

gary5410
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
dana-
13X32
most are air filled, some are mortar. I was here at the start and the mortar was very thick/stiff and he seemed to not be having a good time with it.
I think maybe 20% thinset shows through. I had a feeling this was not good all day! He acted like he used it before ????

dhagin
03-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry Gary, I've got no good news for ya. But you already knew that. If it were me I'd be making a phone call to tell him to get it out of there ASAP. I'd try to be diplomatic, but make it clear that that install is not acceptable. Then it's his move.

Like i said above, the sooner he gets to it the better... for both of you. :)

JTile
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
IF the rest of the ditra is well secured with the exception of the "ridged" areas, those areas might be able to cut out and patched.. You'd have to be confident with the bonding of the rest of it though, and as the guy seemed to not know what he was doing, its doubtful.

gary5410
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
The nightmare begins!
Thanks

gary5410
03-31-2010, 07:29 AM
I added a few more pics and 2 short videos at my smugmug site...most of it is not attached at all!

cx
03-31-2010, 07:43 AM
You may have hired someone who accepts money for his work, Gary, but you clearly didn't hire a professional.

Has this guy been paid?

Looking at those photos I wouldn't trust any of the installation. Only good news is that some of the Ditra might still be reusable. Or not.

Hope you can work something out with this installer. Small Claims court might be your next stop if the maximum in your state is high enough to cover it. :(

My opinion; worth price charged.

tilelayer
03-31-2010, 08:12 AM
If he gives you a hard time send him to this website and show him this thread.

The thinset needs to be mixed up on the loose side so the fleece membrane and thinset can interweave and a molecular bond takes places. Some crazy science stuff happens.