Tiling a bathroom renovation [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling a bathroom renovation

itsJustASmallJob...
03-11-2010, 09:19 AM
This forum has been very helpful in the past for my last project. Currently I have my only bathroom in a state of disrepair. The bathroom is a 10 x 5 foot 50s starter house bathroom, and the only one in the house. Did not want the woman to see my house like this, so started tear out last weekend. Tore out wall, tub, walls and floor tile. Replacing the alcove tub with a whirlpool tub, new fixtures, vanity, and toilet. I am planning on tiling the shower surround and the floor. Deflection on floor is good for porcelain, and am getting ready to replace the old subfloor. When I took out the old 1 inch tiles, found they were adhered with mastic to particle board. Obviously this was not a good decision by whatever contractor did the work.
So wall rebuilt, new tub in box in room, new vinyl double glazed bathroom window in, and siding up. Finding all kinds of code violations as I go, but will have all fixed shortly. Putting in 3/4" t&g, topped with 19/32 exterior sheathing, then ditra and 12x12s on floor. Walls will be insulated, then covered in 1/2" drywall, kerdi, and 12x12s. Couple of questions:
1. What is the best way to arrange tiles on the walls in shower? Is the difference from a full row split on both sides, giving cut tiles on both ends of wall?
2. The lip on tub, do I use regular grout caulk, silicone, or kerdi fix to keep water from getting up under tile to drywall rough edge?
3. What looks best for matching lines wall to floor? Should the tiles line up exactly?

Thanks for all the info guys. Will update my other post with pics shortly.

Sponsored Links

dhagin
03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
1- Balance tile so cuts are even on both sides and wider than 1/2 a tile. Either center a grout joint or center a tile.
2- For Kerdi, follow Schluter install instructions. There's good info and a photo or 2 in the shower handbook.
3- If tile and grout joint size & pattern are all the same, lining up looks good. On some jobs, it may not be possible to line up everything tho.

itsJustASmallJob...
03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Looked at tile on my lunch break, and am thinking of going diagonal on the floor, and straight up on the walls, and not worry about matching. Since one edge of the floor is mostly covered by the toilet and the vanity, if I cut 45s corner to corner and start on one side with halfs, will it look ok to hide the smaller pieces on opposite wall? Gonna building a niche on the opposite wall of the shower.

bbcamp
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
You want to wrap the diagonal layout around the corners. You need to figure which wall to start and finish on, since it is not likely you can wrap all 4 walls perfectly.

On the subject, wrapping a 45 layout demands that your walls be plumb and straight at the corners. Otherwise, the pattern will get warped.

itsJustASmallJob...
03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Diagonal layout will only be on floor, not gonna try walls, too much work. Will post pics soon.

itsJustASmallJob...
03-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Went to work on the plumbing, and found main valve would not shutoff water. In addition, the previous owner had the contractors cut out the supporting studs on the wet wall in bathroom/kitchen, and the wall has settled. So had to buy main water shutoff ball valve, the tool to shutoff the water at street, and more 2x6 studs for wet wall. Somehow these weekend projects always get longer. Will be a bit before tiling begins now.

itsJustASmallJob...
03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Gonna set the tub in mortar tonight, throw up the drywall tomorrow, and start on the ditra at night. Subfloor is now 3/4" and 19/32" screwed and glued. Sistered in a joist under the stack wall to help support an existing slightly tired 2x8. Floor is good and solid now, ready for tile.

itsJustASmallJob...
04-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Tub is in, diagonal tile floor is in, and all drywall is in. Trying to figure out the layout of wall tile. My plan was to do a full tile tub/shower surround, and have tile up to about 4 ft 5" or so on remaining wall area. As the tile will not go to ceiling in rest of bathroom, how do I determine layout for wall tile? Should I just start with full tiles floor up and see how it looks around tub? How about getting a level line around the room for the layout, without a laser what is the easiest way? Thanks for all the help.

Houston Remodeler
04-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Rolf,

There are a few ways; the classic is a long level and a pencil. If you circle the room and come back to the start within 1/4" you'd be doing pretty good.

There are also water levels to buy or make your own out of a long piece of clear 1/4" tubing, filled with water.

As for layout, measure about 10 of your tiles laid out on a flat surface WITH the spacers you are planning on using. measure each grout line and write that number down. You'll get something like 12.25, 24.5, 36.75 and so on... Use those numbers to figure out where grout lines will wind up.