Replacing tub apron with tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tub apron with tile

Mocha_Momma
03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Removed an ugly faux marble apron from the front of the tub. The apron extends under the tub about 1.3 cm and is twice as thick as my 12x12 in porcelain tile. Any suggestions on how to extend the tile flooring to replace the apron and cover the gap between the tub and tile? I'm thinking about installing pencil or rope to cover the gap, but am not sure if support between the tile and tub is necessary for that .5 cm gap that extends 1.3 cm under the face of the tub.

Sponsored Links

Mocha_Momma
03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
can that be done on faux marble tubs? The top of the tub is not flush with the wall of the tub. See pic below. Can I build that up with thinset or epoxy or something? I'd like to tile the top surfaces as well, but am not sure if the tile will hold to the faux marble. I'm thinking if I rough up the faux marble I can just use thinset or epoxy to set the tile on the surfaces surrounding the tub, but I am not sure how to finish off the circumference on the edge of the tub. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mocha_Momma
03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I went ahead and tiled the floor while wondering what to do about that apron I removed. I noticed that there is a wooden stop under the tub about 1.3 cm inward. I'm thinking no support is needed for such a small gap. Below is a pic of what I've done so far. Now I have to prep to cut these ugly angles to fit the tile under the tub where the apron used to be. I'm still not sure what to do about that gap. This is my first tiling experience tiling so any suggestions would be appreciated.

cx
04-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome, Sandi. :)

I moved your post from that other member's thread to avoid confusion there.

Yours is a completely aesthetic consideration. There is (or should be) not requirement for any support for that tub skirt. If the gap is too large to caulk and give good appearance, you'll need to install some sort of trim there to hide the error. Whatever you do must allow for a flexible joint between tub skirt and floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.