Kitchen Wall Dips [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Wall Dips

jburr827
02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have searched on this, but haven't found enough of the same answers to feel comfortable with the "solution".

I am having granite countertops installed and then planning to add a 4 inch or so tile backsplash. Most of the walls alnog the countertop are very good with the middle of one outside wall (under the window and behind the sink) being the only real exception. In this location the wall dips in for a span of about 4 feet with 1/2 inch being the maximum depth in the middle. The cabinets are installed and the area where we are planning to put this backspalsh has been painted (along with the rest of the room) with a semi-gloss paint.

My questions is:

Can I simply rough up the paint and then mud (using drywall compund) that dip to make it flat? This would certainly be the easiest solution, but being behind the sink maybe not the best solution.

I thought about cutting away the drywall and installing backerboard or something, but I really can't envision how this would work or whether or not it would even help me. It also seems like it might be more than is necessary considering we are only adding one row of tile.

I appreciate the help.

John

Sponsored Links

Shawn Prentice
02-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Greetings John,

A 1/2" is bad. I'd remove the rock in that area, shim out the studs (scab in a short 2x4 next to the bad ones) to bring it all into the same plane. Then you can just drywall back over it.

Why not run tile up to the cab bottoms? Then you don't have to mud the joints, sand, prime, and repaint. You can just tape your seams on the new piece of drywall with thinset/mesh tape as you tile. A bit more cost with the tile material, but taping seams in such a small, high visibility area and making it look nice is more difficult than in the middle of a wall with no obstructions.

jburr827
02-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe the best solution would be to run the tiles up to underneath the cabinets.

If I did that, would it be better to:

A: Add the cement board over the drywall and shim it so it is even all the way around or...

B: Remove the drywall between the countertop and the bottom of the cabinets, shim the studs, and add the cement board to that or...

C: Simply replace the piece of drywall in the dip and tile over that.

Thanks again,

John

Shawn Prentice
02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Adding the cbu over the drywall, unless it's between walls will leave a problem at the end of the tile run depending on what tile you use and if you can get a mud cap trim tile for it. Plus you still have to shim. Having said that, I wouldn't do it that way.

You can add cbu after you take out the drywall and shim, but in that situation, you wouldn't necessarily have to.

If the rest of the area looks good as far as being in the same plane, I'd just deal with fixing the problem area.

Mirage2521
02-06-2010, 06:15 AM
I learn as much from reading other threads as I do reading my own...thanks to you all.

jburr827
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to be sure and follow-up on some of these older posts such that future readers perhpas faced with the same problems will know how things turned out.

Regarding this situation where the wall had a concave area below the window (after painting and installing the cabinets) ahead of installing tile, I did go ahead and remove a section of drywall, shimmed out the studs, and then installed Hardibacker. We also elected to tile all the way up to the bottom of the cabinets so we wouldn't have to deal with the seams we created between the cememtn board and the drywall.

This strategy worked out perfectly, the wall was flat for tiling, tiling up tot he bottom of the cabinets looks much better than what we were going to do with only having one row, and most importantly it has held up well. It has only been a couple of years but it still looks perfect.

As always, I appreciate the advice from member sof the forum.

dhagin
10-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the follow up John. Now where are those beautiful "after" photos? :tup1: