Reuse existing underlayment for stone tile installation? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Reuse existing underlayment for stone tile installation?

gowings23
02-05-2010, 12:48 PM
So I successfully removed the cheap tile that was in front of my fireplace, and the underlayment is still in excellent shape. The only issue is that the old mortar is making it un-even.

If possible, I would love to not have to tear it up because that is going to be a serious undertaking. Is there a simpler way to scrape the top of the existing underlayment and use it again?

I'm trying to get this project done this weekend, so any advice would be helpful.

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Tim,

It can be reused as long as it is firm, secure, doesn't move....

The old thinset can be scraped down a few ways: use a rubbing stone, as pictured below. You'll get a wonderful shoulder workout. Or you can use a right angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel. Keep a shop vac handy to catch the dust, unless you have a spare set of lungs laying around. A belt sander with some 36 grit paper may also work.

gowings23
02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
It's definitely solid and not moving!

I couldn't see a picture of a rubbing stone anywhere. I assume I could go get one from a local hardware or home improvement store? As long as I can get it smooth and level, I should be good to go.

cx
02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Welcome, Tim. :)

I think Paul musta got distracted after he done tole you to look at his picher. I don't see no steenkin' picher, niether. :D

And speakin' of pichers, without a picher, or at least a more detailed description of what you got there, tough to say just what it might need to be reusable, eh? We like pichers. :)

Houston Remodeler
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry about that, I was on hold with the parking authority. Got a ticket for parking in front of my own house.

gowings23
02-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the picture, and sorry about the ticket! My wife got a rolling stop ticket directly in front of our house one time...LOL!

Any idea where I could get one of those? Will one of the big box stores have those? I've already started taking extra ibuprofen for the shoulder.

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it greatly!

bbcamp
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes, HD or Lowes will have them in the masonry tool section. Or somewheres else...:shrug:

gowings23
02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone!