Spacer Fell Out - Now What? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Spacer Fell Out - Now What?

eagles9259
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Last weekend I finished tiling my shower enclosure and as I was finishing, I saw that a spacer fell out on one tile (12") I had set the week before. So, I have one tile that slid down (1/8" grout lines) on one side so that I have almost no space between that tile and the one below it. I was considering using my Dremel with a diamond blade to shave the tile, but I'm concerned that I will ruin the tile and it will look worse or put a hole in the wall. Same thing with pulling the tile off, I'm afraid of damaging the wall behind. I am not totally opposed to just leaving it because it isn't that noticeable, but I'm concerned about getting my sanded grout in there.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
You didn't say what the substrate was, but for most cases, you'll do less damage to the wall by breaking the tile from the center towards the edges. use a cold chisel and hammer and start tapping the center until it breaks, then keep working until you get to the edges.

If there is a membrane under the tile, it can be repaired before you set the replacement.

Edthedawg
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Do you have more tiles you could use to replace the one? What's the substrate & waterproofing in play?

And can we assume the 1/8" closing on the bottom made a 1/4" gap above the subject tile? Or did the whole column slide down?

There are practiced ways of delicately breaking out just the one offending tile, scraping the thinset flat in that one area, and re-setting a new tile properly in that same spot. But ain't the easiest thing to do...

Edit -- dang, i still type slow. :D

eagles9259
02-04-2010, 02:08 PM
I do have more tile I could use to replace it. The wall is Durock with Aquadefense (trowel applied membrane) as the waterproofing. Above the tile that slid is a line of tumbled porcelain 2" tile that goes all the way around the enclosure, so the gap above isn't noticeable at all because of the varying spaces with the tumbled porcelain. Above that, everything is square.

Thanks for the quick responses.

spta97
02-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I tried a RotoZip and a dry diamond blade to shave down a set tile and it chipped the edge like crazy.

If it has only been a week to try and pry it off depending on the type of mortar.

ceramictec
02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
smash it and remove the tile, if you pull off and Aquadefense just re paint the area.
install the new tile and put and extra spacer in the joint for precaution.

Houston Remodeler
02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Smash is a bit strong. I would worry about poking a hole right through the CBU or at least damaging it to the point the integral strength is gone. Tap, tap, tap with a good chisel as parallel with the wall as you can get. Grinding is good, except for the lungs.

sandbagger
02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
start chiseling where the gaps are widest. You don't want to be creating pressure on the neighboring tiles that might cause chipping.

Kman
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I would favor Paul's method of tapping with a chisel vs. Brian's wrecking ball on a crane. The least amount of force necessary is what you're looking for.

ceramictec
02-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I didn't mean sledge hammer it you bowdarkskulls !! :bang:

Davestone
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Matt, do you have access to some C4?:yeah:

Rd Tile
02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Grout it and leave it.:D

Houston Remodeler
02-05-2010, 04:22 PM
LOL, tile humor, gotta love it. :lol1: