floor tiles 1st then wall...and why [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : floor tiles 1st then wall...and why

roonie
11-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Traditionally, is it up to the customer to seal the finished tile job or the tile guy? Or, is it whatever the person has agreed too? Thanks

Sponsored Links

ob1kanobee
11-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Whatever the contract says is my opinion.

If the contract says that the H.O. or the G.C. is gonna mix your thin-set for ya or tote tile than that's what the agreement is.

Contracts supercede whatever tradition is because it is traditional to follow contract.

If the contract doesn't say you are going to seal then you are under no obligation to do so as a general rule of thumb.

dhagin
11-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Or, is it whatever the person has agreed too?

Yes.

Saldibs
11-29-2009, 08:26 AM
In general if the tile needs to be sealed before grouting, then most times the installer will seal it, but this all depends on what has been agreed to by both parties. if the tile is to be sealed after grouting then the grout needs to cure for a certain period of time, in this case it is usually the home owner that seals the tile, unless of course it has been agreed that the contractor will come back and do it. In other words it all depends on your agreement with your tile setter. If you never discussed sealing the tile then it is up for discussion as to who should do it. It is your tile, your house, I would say just seal it and be done with it, It is not that hard to do.

Davy
11-29-2009, 09:04 AM
It's not hard to do but can cause you to make another trip if you don't have other work to do there.

I just did a tub surround where the owner was doing a lot of the remodeling himself. I knew he could handle the sealing so I didn't figure it in my price. Some jobs I know the homeowner can't handle the sealer, I'll plan on doing it.

ceramictec
11-29-2009, 11:11 AM
use SpectraLock, TEC AccuColorXT or Boost and nobody would have to.

roonie
11-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry...ive never heard of spectralock or the others ..can you explain. Maybe its due to me being in Canada ....eh

roonie
12-04-2009, 08:21 AM
I have been scanning on here to see how most edges get finished.I am finding it tough to view all of the pics i guess. An example would be a counter top where the outside horizontal meets the vertical edge. Other than bullnose, what other ideas are there to acheive a finished edge on thicker tile without having to look at the dullness of the edge.thanks in advance

Sanjuro82
12-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Wood trim, Schluter or comparable trim, tile trim.

Post a picture or two and I could narrow down the suggestions.

ceramictec
12-04-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.schluter.com/139.aspx

http://www.schluter.com/p/content/ss_prod_rondecstepct_r_rdax_290x193_80.jpg

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:07 PM
All of my floor tiles and wall tiles are the exact same dimensions. Obviously, I am going to be ending up lining up all of my lines without cutting many tiles. Is this a NO NO in the tile world to have some lines not line up..like behind a toilet etc? Sure would save on tile.

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Just wondering why i see most wall tiles being layed 1st, then floor tiles...or is it just in the shower pics on this site? What is the prefered method and why?

Davestone
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
If you set the floor first you should be able to line them up.Either that or turn the floor diagonal.We as pros can't get away with scalloped jobs,although some of the complaints we see may dispute that.

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
they are 1/2inch thick, 11 3/4x11 3/4. What size notched trowell should i be using? I did a search...is there a chart on this site? If there is no chart...can we create a chart?

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
that was quick ...thanks. Does this mean ..I am not a pro

ceramictec
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree with Dave. depending on your room layout.
if its a square or rectangle you have it made.

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
the shower has cement board on the walls. I was going to go with kerdi drain and mud pack floor, kerdi over mud pack. Am I ok with leaving the cement board on walls? If so, can i just fill the small crack in corners of cement board with thinset? The home owner (wife) does not want to spring for the entire kerdi walls.

scuttlebuttrp
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Offset or line up or diagonal; your choice.

Your other questions:
I'd start with a 3/8" notch. There is no chart nor one to be made. Trowel notch depth depends not only on size of tile, but texture on the back, flatness of floor, flatness of tile, etc.. Whatever it takes to get proper coverage.

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
The room is more than square and rectangular..it also has a angled jacuzzi tub and a couple other juts in and out.

cx
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Welcome back, roonie. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use. :)

I've combined half a dozen threads here that may be for the same project and wish you'd use it for your project questions. Perhaps you could give us some idea what you're working on and folks would be better able to tailor their responses to your situation, eh?

roonie
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
CX..if your from Texas, your not allowed to say eh....hehe. I guess i am not posting pics and projects as i am merely helping with a friend with his project this time around. I can try and get some pics though. Now..where is that signature line anyway....

Davestone
12-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Click on user cp in the blue bar above.