spectralock over sanded grout? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : spectralock over sanded grout?

diyweekendgal
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Evening all! I hope everyone is recovering from Thanksgiving well! I'm a DIY mom who has learned more from these forums than I could have ever expected. Here's my conundrum. I am remodeling my main bathroom (kerdi, ditra, travertine, pebble tiles...the whole shabang!) and recently added a pebble tile - river rock- wall where my freestanding bathtub will be installed. After reading, watching videos and weighing out all the options, I decided to use Laticrete's Spectralock as my grout. I tiled the walls, let it set up 24hrs and began grouting away. LOVE the spectralock- hell of an upper body work out smooshing that stuff into varying joint sizes on a wall, whew! Nice that I could mix up a mini kit after work and put in an hour or so. Slow moving but looking good and made me feel like i deserved that nightly adult beverage!

Well, my very loving and helpful ex-hubby decided to help me out while I was out of town over the weekend and grouted the complete back wall....with Laticrete sanded grout and 1776 enhancer- he thought it was the same thing as the spectralock. Yikes. So now I have one wall done in Almond Spectralok and one wall in Almond sanded grout w/1776. Colors kinda close in both applications but the textures completely different and the stones on the non-spectralock wall dulled a bit from the sanded grout.

Any ideas on how to make this right? Kind I use spectralock over the sanded grout? I may have to lose a bit of the stone exposure but I;d sacrifice that for a consistent look.Can I do anything to the non spectralock wall to get the sanded grout to look more smooth (less sandy)? The idea of trying to remove the grout and start again is overwhelmomg...I think I'd rather cut the whole wall out (its only a hal wall) re-drywall and start again.

Help!

Sponsored Links

Dog paws
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Kathy, you're going to have to remove the sanded grout in order for the Spectralock to hold up. I can't see any easy way around your problem.

diyweekendgal
12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks Michael, I was just looking at the wall and hoping that would not be the consensus...figures its the BIG wall!! URGH

dhagin
12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Bummer about the sanded grout. You know, if he did a good job and it looks the same as the stuff you did, I'm not so sure I'd worry about it. Same maintenance, and I like their sanded grouts mixed with 1776. I'd seal it with a pro grade sealer and forget about it.

Taking that grout out has risks. Chipped tile, compromised Kerdi, etc...

Davestone
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
One option might be to color seal the grout.Now they usually don't recommend color sealing stone grout joints but if the stone is sealed and the grout matches the color of the stone you might be okay,and it wouldn't look like sanded grout anymore(which you shouldn't use on stone).

diyweekendgal
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys. I like the Almond color of the grout and the sanded with 1776 compared to the spectralock looks the same from a distance. I'm sure it will bother me when I'm relaxing on my new tub. Its the texture difference that gets me bent outta shape. The river rocks have some seriously large grout joints, a good 1/2" to 3/4" in some places. So, if I try and color seal the grout, it will change the texture to more of the epoxy look of the spectralock? If I leave it alone and add a top of the line sealer to the sanded grout wall, do I have to worry about getting sealer on the spectralock wall? I know the spectralock doesnt need to be sealed but I havent seen anything stating that sealer will harm the spectralock.

dhagin
12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think sealer will harm the cured SpectraLock, but call Laticrete tech support after you know what sealer you'd use. I'd wait till the 1500 & SpectaLock are fully cured to seal.

edit;
Grout stains make the surface of sanded look smoother, kinda like painted grout.