Bathroom tile question regarding mortar [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom tile question regarding mortar

Qacer
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

I am curious. I have some left over mortar from a previous tile project (a contractor did it). I am thinking of re-modeling my bathroom and I am curious if I can use the left over mortar for the shower tiles (wall and floor).

I have the following left over mortar:

Versabond Fortified Thinset Mortar
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SettingMaterials/LatexPortlandCementMortars/VersabondFlexFortifiedThinSet.aspx

Speedset Fortified Thinset Mortar
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SettingMaterialsDIY/SpecialtyMortars/SpeedSetFortifiedThinSet.aspx?user=diy&lang=en

From the bathroom projects I've seen online, it seems like they use thinset mortar on the shower tiles, but I'm not sure if this is a special thinset mortar that works in moisture rich environments.

If these mortar sets do not work, what should I use for the floor and walls?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

cx
12-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Welcome, Q. :)

If these are open bags and they been open since August, they're suitable for making yard bunnies, far as I'm concerned.

You could save a handful of dollars at the expense of a possibly failed tile installation. Not a cost effective bet.

My opinion; worth price charged.

ceramictec
12-02-2009, 06:18 PM
the Speedset might be a little fast for you, but the Versabond is a good thinset.

how old are the bags ?
being in Florida I'm sure the humidity has got to them a little.

Qacer
12-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I had the bags since August 2009. I have one Versabond bag that is not open. The other two have been opened and laying in the garage since then.

Will Versabond do just fine for the both wall and floor?

My dad called his friend and said that I should use white mastic for the walls. Is that true?

Thanks!

ceramictec
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
My dad called his friend and said that I should use white mastic for the walls. Is that true?tell your Dad to not ask his friend for info.
No. mastic shouldn't be used in the shower.
use the Versabond for the floor & wall

MNTileGuy
12-02-2009, 10:12 PM
As long as the bags of thinset haven't been exposed to a ridiculous amount of moisture, they should still be usable.

I'll second Brian's vote against mastic. BAD advice. Versabond will serve you well on your project.