lead shower pan, leaking [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : lead shower pan, leaking

jungt
11-24-2009, 07:04 PM
i have a 50 year old house
the shower pan is leaking
can i fix the problem without tearing up the old tile

Sponsored Links

Kman
11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Don't think so. No way that I know of.

That lead pan is probably in need of replacement anyway.

Lazarus
11-24-2009, 07:16 PM
While lead shower pans were in vogue many years ago....it is about the time that most of them are deteriorating. It would be difficult, if not impossible to revive an old pan. First, you would have to remove all the tile and morter from it and then, somehow "rejuvinate" it. At this point in time, the only reasonable thing to do would be to "gut" the old installation and build a truly waterproof system. There are several means & methods of doing this....from a vinyl liner with a preslope and a final mud bed slope to the current state-of-the-art system with Schluter Systems and Kerdi.

We would need to know more about the installation and can advise you and walk you through the proper procedure. Can you post pictures? It is NOT beyond the average DIY'ers capabilities......we're here to work with you.

You might go to www.Schluter.com and check out their videos on shower construction......

Davy
11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Being 50 years old, it's going to be on a mud bed. If the walls are in good shape, it is possible to take out the shower floor, up the walls about 10-12 inches and the curb. That way a new pan could be installed and the rock solid walls left in place.

I have done this many times and there are a couple problems doing it like this. The new area will have to be a different color tile and there will be a cold joint in the installation where the new meets the old. I never had a call back from it but it (the cold joint) could give moisture a place to get back in the wall.

cx
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Welcome, Terry. :)

What Davy said.

But for a 50-year-old shower I think I'd wanna give serious thought to re-doing the whole thing, myownself.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Houston Remodeler
11-24-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd also upgrade the plumbing fixtures, raise the shower head and install a new door.