Botched job? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Botched job?

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I have been lurking here for a while trying to figure out what to do with my current shower situation. I finally decided to just ask you guys directly. This is my first wet tile project, but I am a fairly handy guy.

I was about to start tiling my shower enclosure, but have run into a few problems before I even started. It looks like my contractor didn't really know what he was doing when he prepped the shower.

1. There does not appear to be a pre-slope.

2. He filled the mortar to the top of the curb, and the curb is only 1 2x4 high.

3. When the drain is screwed all the way in, it is even with the mortar bed.

Do I need to completely start over and rip up the mortar? I was looking at some of the liquid solutions on here, and was thinking maybe one of those might work. Any advice on the best way to proceed?

I have been showering at the gym for too long so any advice would really be great. Just need to know where to go from here...

Here are some pics, thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links

Splinter
11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
That is wrong in so many different ways. 1 1/2" curb is bad. I dont have a clue what he made that mud bed out of, kinda looks like white thinset. No preslope, what's with the spackled and cornerbeaded outside corner that's INSIDE the shower? And the rest of the spackled seams are a big NO as well.

Tear it out, get your money back, and find someone to do it properly.

Rd Tile
11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
and find someone to do it properly.

Yo Alex.:D

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 01:18 PM
That's what I was afraid of. So I need to pull out all the permabase as well? I was hoping if I had to do it all over I could just do from the ground to about 2 feet up.

Kman
11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
You would have to take out the bottom foot or so, at a minimum. Considering everything that's been done incorrectly to this point, and the fact that you'd have to make a dusty mess to cut off the bottom part of the CBU, I would take out the bottom row at least.

Did he mud the CBU joints and screw heads with drywall mud? If so, scrap it all. Otherwise, you'll have to spend some time with a sponge getting all that mud off and replace it with thinset.

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 02:30 PM
It's not joint compound, it looks like thinset to me, although it could be some kind of glue. Regardless, it's sloppy and kind of pisses me off. Not sure what is up with the inside corner, but it is covered in the same stuff. Here is a pic of the goop.

gwataloo
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
It looks like joint compond or it could be mastic. Looks like a redo to me.

ceramictec
11-20-2009, 02:50 PM
no, it's joint compound. you can see it in the 3rd pic.
it's done just like drywall.

Do I need to completely start over and rip up the mortar?I would do the whole thing.
rip out, start over doing it the correct way.

whats your location ?

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
It's not JC. It's softer, and more...gluey. Could be mastic I suppose. I am in Brooklyn. Anyone care to do a consultation?

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Ok, so I guess I was sorta wrong, there is some joint compound in the shower, although only on this one section.

BTW, thanks again for all the advice, this forum is amazing. I already know more than my contractor just from reading the last week...not that that is saying much.

ceramictec
11-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I am in Brooklyn. Anyone care to do a consultation? Yo Richie! :D

we sometimes can look at stuff and tell you what it is...this is one of those times.

Splinter
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Yo Alex. :D

Wish I could... Wouldnt be my first bathroom in Brooklyn, but I'm busy well into next year already.

I will be in Brooklyn on Thanksgiving Day.... Think the family would mind if I left for a few hours to build a Kerdi shower? :laugh2:

Rd Tile
11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Where in Bklyn?

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey Richie, I'm in Williamsburg. I am 89% sure thats not JC, unless it is mixed with something else. It's fairly soft...

Kman
11-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Whatever it is, it's coming out, right? :deadhorse

donnymandible
11-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Well, I suppose as it is "mystery" goo it better come out. Not happy about this, but I suppose it has to be done.