bagged drypack [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : bagged drypack

brusu
11-19-2009, 07:46 PM
I know how to make drypack, but is there a prebagged mix that would be a bit more convenient? Also, what do you all recommend for mudding a shower curb, I've done a few, but was wondering if there was a better, more workable mix?

Sponsored Links

HS345
11-19-2009, 07:49 PM
I like the Laticrete 209 Floor Mud. (http://www.laticrete.com/contractors/products/thin_set_mortars_adhesives/thick_bed_mortar.aspx)

I'm a Kerdi man, so I no longer mud curbs.

Davy
11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
It's best to use wall mud for curbs. It gets much harder than dry pack. And, there's nothing wrong with mudding a curb regardless if you use Kerdi or anything else. The curb needs to be level with the right pitch toward the drain. If you Kerdi over a crooked row of bricks, you'll have to get the tiles straight and level using thinset to butter with. That's never much fun especially with small tiles. In my opinion, it's faster to mud the curb and then use minimal thinset to bond with. :)

Crestone Tile
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Like Davy,

Fat mud. Over bricks or wood core with poly and lath. Liquid waterproofing or Kerdi, it's all mud curbs for me. If you want a good pre-bagged fat mud, go with Quikrete's Stucco Scratch n Brown.

Muddman
11-20-2009, 12:31 AM
I used some laticrete 226 (straight water, no poltmer) fro the floor of a kerdi shower the other week, was really happy with it. Worked good and cured hard as a rock.

scuttlebuttrp
11-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Scratch N Brown is great mud for curbs and lots of stuff. About $4.80 @ Lowes.
It depends on what they sell in your area. I like SGM's Easyfloat floor mix for shower pans. But they may not sell it where you live. If forced to; I will use the sand topping mix from Home Depot.

HS345
11-20-2009, 05:40 AM
Yep, sand topping mix is good in a pinch, I always add about 25lbs of sand to a 60lb bag of topping mix. Quikcrete sand topping mix is 3:1 sand to portland outta the bag. A little rich.

Yes, you can still mud a Kerdi curb, but for me, it's easier to stack three 2x4's and wrap them with 1/2" cbu. :)