Penny Round Tile Fix [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Penny Round Tile Fix

bdavery
10-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Help! :) I am a new homeowner and am in the process of remodeling our house. This past weekend my father and I tiled my 1/2 bath. We had installed the Ditra the prior weekend and were laying the mesh-backed penny round tile this past weekend. Besides being a pain to lay, everything went smooth. Last night (after 24 hours) I went into the bath to check things out and noticed that 1 tile sheet had not adheared to the floor. Of course it is the one right in the doorway! Any suggestions on how to repair this tile?

Sponsored Links

silvercitytile
10-26-2009, 09:24 AM
hey there bdavery. schluter doesnt recomend anything smaller than 2"x2" for ditra

ceramictec
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
yep, Jeff is right.
hope you did everything right to help out.

Edthedawg
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
what papi-chulo said :(

but you're likely a bit committed at this point, eh?

'bout all you can do is take the offending tile(s) out, level the thinset out in that spot, and try again.

What are you using for thinset, btw?

Good luck!

bdavery
10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Oh *%&! I didn't see that. I guess I figured that since the tile was 12" x 12" on mesh that I didn't think through it. GRRR. Oh the joys of homeownership. My husband and I are clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Should I rip up all the work and pick another tile or just try to repair and grout? It's just 1 tile that didn't seem to stick.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Edthedawg - I will have to look at the type of thin set when I get home. I don't know off the top of my head.

JC Tile
10-26-2009, 11:48 AM
like ed said your a little committed at this point.

if all the squares of the ditra were filled in and and it there aren't any hollow spots under the tile you might be ok.

schluter doesn't reccomend or guarantee anything less than 2x2 but that doesn't mean it will automatically fail. you might have to fix a couple of pieces now and then, but it might be better than the alternative of a rip out and redo.

Good luck

bdavery
10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks! I'll try and repair the tile(s) that are loose. I will grout and let you all know my progress. The one good thing is that I'm learning a lot of what not to do when I tile the kitchen.

bdavery
10-26-2009, 11:58 AM
BTW - I did make sure and fill the squares in the ditra with thinset. Once the squares were filled then I put down another layer of thinset and used the v-notch.

silvercitytile
10-26-2009, 04:13 PM
sorry bdavery, i dont mean to be the brunt of bad news, but i dont think the v-notch trowel was a good idea either.

ceramictec
10-26-2009, 04:27 PM
what if it was a 3/16" v notch ? ;)

sandbagger
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
bdavery - did you let the "fill" layer set up before using the v-notch to set your tiles? I'd check the entire floor carefully for other loose tiles. Since you're going to be mixing a little pookey, might as well get them all.

bdavery
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I think it was a 3/16 v-notch. Anyway, I contacted Ditra and i believe that i have it figured out for the time being. I have repaired the loose tiles and grouted. Who knows...I may still rip the entire floor out, but I have my in-laws coming so it will have to do for now. I appreciate everyones' suggestions. I have learned a lot from my first tiling experience.