link to john bridge shower pan installation photos for DIY [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : link to john bridge shower pan installation photos for DIY

roundurrrr
10-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Years ago, I used a John Bridge web page that contained great instructions and clear photos on how to build a shower pan (using the 40 mil poly material). I used it to build my own and the finished shower has performed great for 8 years. I now want to build another and I cannot find the original link. Can anyone help?

Thanks-
Scott

Sponsored Links

Dog paws
10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5434

scuttlebuttrp
10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
He's also got some pictorials on his regular website.

http://www.johnbridge.com/serv02.htm

Maybe it was one of these.

roundurrrr
11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I need to remove a Kohler Villager cast iron tub from a second story bath, with narrow stairs to the first floor. The tub weighs in excess of 300 lbs. Anyone here have any experience breaking up a cast iron tub? I own a Makita HR4010C combo hammer drill. Will this do the job?

Thanks

cx
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome, Scott. :)

A medium pounder is my weapon of choice for cast iron fixture removal.

Wear protective gear; long sleeves, gloves, eye protection (full face shield is prefered), etc.

You can lay a wet towel or some sort of blanket over it to hold down the flack a little, but a couple very sound whacks with an eight-pound sledge will usually yield large pieces. Few more whacks and you can get one-person-size carry-outs.

My opinion; worth price charged.

brnhornt
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I second the eight-pound sledge method. Worked for me. Only thing I'd add is some hearing protection, and make sure the wife, kids, and dogs are out of the house :)

Sanjuro82
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Definitely use blanket or a canvas drop cloth over the tub to prevent you from sustaining any shrapnel wounds from the porcelain enamel. It can be treacherous, as each tub will break differently. Some break apart safely, while others can be very dangerous, so be careful.

Tool Guy - Kg
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Due to the shape of the tub, it will crack easier if your blows are to the inside of the tub directed outward than if you direct them to the front apron.

If you insist on breaking a tub (danger of flying shrapnel, as mentioned), go out of your way to protect your hearing, face (shield, as mentioned...AND safety glasses), hands, arms, and legs with appropriate gear. And the suggestion for a canvas over the tub is a good one to help keep SOME of the shards from flying. Stay safe. :)

roundurrrr
01-21-2010, 01:05 PM
How risky is it to drill shower door mounting holes into set porcelain tile? I've had installers do several for me with no cracked tile, but I'm doing the install this time and am concerned about breaking a tile. I have a Milwaukee cordless driver/drill with the rotary hammer feature, was going to use a 1/8" masonry bit.

Lazarus
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
First of all, the ONLY drilling should be on the wall. Do NOT drill into the curb. Do not use the rotary hammer function. Recipe for disaster. The masonry bit MIGHT work, but I would use a diamond bit on porcelean. A 1/8" bit isn't terribly expensive vs/ having to replace a cracked tile.

Houston Remodeler
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Go with a true diamond bit. Make a wood template of the same size to guide the bit. Have a garden type pump sprayer to keep it wet. A second person is handy. Use Blue tape to direct the water into the tub.