tiles done... few uneven grout lines on floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tiles done... few uneven grout lines on floor

surgeon
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
A friend got some tiles along with me. He just finished the tiles and the grout lines along the door jamb and wall came out 1/2". He said may be the first few cuts were slightly off. I told him to replace them if possible. Is that a good idea or leave it alone? The spacing was 1/8" and these 3 places came out to 1/2". Fixing that means breaking about 5-7 tiles. It it worth it?

I also mentioned that he can use a quarter round all around to solve it if possible. The rest of the tile job was nice though. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

La_Floors
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
1/8" Spacing and some are 1/2" ? :eek: yeah, id say hit cuts were off a tad. Thats going to look bad if you do not replace it.

johntrent
10-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Vic - really up to you on whether or not it is worth it for you. For me - they would have to be fixed - it would drive me up a wall. Quarter round may be an option but not around a door jamb - that isn't gonna work.

Curious - the rest of the tiles aren't cut tight to the baseboard are they? they need to have a soft joint there or room for expansion.

surgeon
10-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks all.

Joseph, I noticed along the molding on the wall next to door jamb. The entire floor was straight. Just along the wall so that means about redoing a few tiles.

John, good point. I have to go check tomorrow. I think he grouted all the way up to the wall (moulding). That is where I noticed and asked about the extra space. At least I think that is grout, not color-matched caulk. Then I thought if he put the quarter round, that might take away that appearance. That would come up to the post. Actual entrance is 1/8 both sides.

Brian in San Diego
10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Vic,

If he grouted to a hard surface he needs to get that grout out of there.

Brian

surgeon
10-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Got more info. The edge at the wall (baseboard/moulding border) has grout. The space is little less than 1/2 in. I also noticed grout along the kick board of the cabinets. Does that need to come off too?

Davestone
10-16-2009, 03:01 PM
There should be no hard grout against any surface other than tile to tile.