Mapei Adhesive [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Mapei Adhesive

lisadharp
10-07-2009, 07:51 PM
I recently tiled my 1/2 bath with 2x2 mosiac porcelain tiles on a 11x12 mesh sheet. I did a floor that is only 24 square feet. I used Mapei Type 1 adhesive on a cement floor and followed all instructions. It has been over 24 hours and my floor is still not set. It makes a "squishy" sound when I push down on the tiles. So my questions are:

1) Did a mess up using this product to adhere the tiles to the floor?
2) How can I help speed up the drying process?
3) Is it going to be safe to install a toilet and pedestal sink ontop of after it is grouted?

Any advice would be wonderful, it is now Wed. night and I have company coming Friday night. I have to finish this project!

Sponsored Links

Mountain Tile
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Mastic is not the proper adhesive, you should peel the tiles up and scrape the glue off. it will wash right off, it will take forever to dry. Cleanem up and start over with thinset, a cement based adhesive you add water to and mix. you can get this at one of the big box stores.

ceramictec
10-07-2009, 08:05 PM
hey Chuck,

2x2 mosiac porcelain tiles on a 11x12 mesh sheetI dont think you will have much luck pulling these up and scraping the back.
they will most likely fall to pieces. and 864 pieces of 2x2 to scrape off will take forever :D

Lisa,

your best bet is to put a fan on it and let it dry for a week.

Lazarus
10-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah...it's really horrible when you put down mosaiacs with mastic. It'll never dry and pullong them up to re-apply then is truly a nightmare....

Mountain Tile
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Well I guess that would be tedious, could be done, but would take a long time to do, and might not be the straightest looking floor. Laz is right, would be easier to buy new tile if budget allows.

tilelayer
10-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Tearout throw the tile in the trash and redo with the appropriate thinset mortar, and buy new tile. Time is money and I doubt you have the time to set each 2x2 one tile at a time.