repair bottom row of tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : repair bottom row of tiles

gildomilo
05-04-2009, 07:27 AM
The bottom row of tiles below the shower head in our tub surroun is loose. When looking from behind there is water damage due to the loose tiles. Can we pull the tiles, replace the cemement backer board, readhere the tiles, grout, caulk and consider the repair done?

We're going to be replacing the floor in the bathroom but would like to leave the rest of the bathroom alone. At least that's the plan for today ;)

Thanks,
Gil

Sponsored Links

Jim wood
05-04-2009, 08:20 AM
The damage is probably worse than you think. I would plan a total tear out. If there is only sheetrock behind the tile, then the side wall is also getting wet, which can lead to mold and rot.
Wish I had better news.

gildomilo
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
If I do a total tear down, how does one deal with a total rebuild and living in the house? This is the only shower/bath in the home :)

bbcamp
05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Send the kids to granny's house. Rig a camp shower in the back yard. Summer's comming, so this won't be all that bad.

gildomilo
05-04-2009, 01:35 PM
No kids yet, so granny will be lonely :) We can rig a camp shower or shower at work I guess. There's always the sponge bath in the kitchen sink too. Does anyone talk to an architect before starting a bathroom remodel?

ccrow
05-04-2009, 01:44 PM
don't forget the spit bath, the air bath(nekked in front of the winder and let the wind clean ya off) or you could go to granny's so she isn't lonely.

architect is not neccessary. just a hammer and a knife to remove it. then put up the new backerboard (duroc or hardie or sheetrock w/ kerdi then tile) that's way simplified of course.

gildomilo
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll ride the motorcyle into work to dry off :) If we're going to redo the tub surround and floor we might as well eliminate the linen closet and reclaim that space. I'd like to get some design ideas. What do you all use for mocking up designs? Any good software?

Thanks,
Gil

Old World Tile and Marble
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
google sketchup

gildomilo
05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Guess I should suck it up and get over the sketchup learning curve...

Floor plan to come when I get the hang of sketchup.

doublins
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I'll +1 the google sketchup... http://sketchup.google.com

It's free CAD software that is very powerful once you get the hang of it... I used it to completely do the framing, drywall, subfloor, plumbing, tile layout, and fixture layout of my new bathroom and it let me see everything as it would be before I had even started.

Plus, many vendors provide CAD renderings of their actual products, like Kohler, and you can import them on the fly into your model... so you can see your bathroom with your actual toilet & shower fixtures set in it. It's quite an impressive tool, for being free.

Check it out!

zel
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey Gil,
I did the same thing a few years ago with our only bathroom. Here's what I'd suggest:
--Plan your tear-out for a Saturday and get up early.
--Protect your tub (unless you are replacing it) and go to town on the walls. If it is just drywall, use a utility knife to cut along the edge of the tile to minimize damage to the surrounding areas.
--Once you have the tile (and drywall) ripped out, you can assess the damage and make your plans. Probably, you can fix any issues inside the wall on the same day.
--If you have any dislike of your shower/bath fixtures (or think you will down the road), now is the time.
------This one gets to your big question about what to do for a shower: Assuming this is a standard tub with a three-wall surround, make a shower stall with three shower curtain liners hanging into the tub. Cut one in half vertically and use those pieces for the short sides and use the full curtains for the long sides. Use spring-loaded, adjustable shower curtain rods for the long ones and short curtain rods, dowels or whatever else to hang the short ones. Overlap the curtains in the corners and use a little duct tape here and there if necessary. I think I just set the short rods on top of the long ones (perdendicular, of course), holding them in place with some duct tape.

You won't even miss a day of showering, and you can take as long as your want to finish the project (just ask my wife).

GraniteGirl
05-06-2009, 12:36 PM
You won't even miss a day of showering, and you can take as long as your want to finish the project

Oooh - almost like this (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=776680&postcount=33) :nya: :sick: :monster: :D