Buggy system.... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Buggy system....

Sonnie Layne
08-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Any ideas why my computer decides to reboot every couple hours when not in use? Haven't had it happen while in use, but don't know that I've had it in use that long just lately.

Well, not exactly not in use, I'm generally logged on the internet via cable modem anytime the puter is running, but for the past week, it just up and does a warm boot at will, apparently. I'm concerned maybe I've picked up a bug. Any ideas what file it would have written to to create this? If it is a bug, that is.... ??

Sponsored Links

jjwq8
08-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Sonny,
You running XP by chance?

Sonnie Layne
08-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Nope, '98/2.....

Left her running without connection to net last night and nothing happened. I'm now going to vacate seat and leave connection to net to verify my paranoia ;)

sdaniels7114
08-11-2003, 04:40 AM
Are you sure your power is steady? No loose chords? If I remember correctly, '98 has a blue screen/ with a disk error checker pop up, on restart, when it's shut down improperly. Do you get that?

jjwq8
08-11-2003, 04:45 AM
Two things spring to mind.
Power pack on the fritz or the CPU high temperature/heat-sink cut-out.
If you haven't cleaned inside the box lately, now might be a good time.

davem
08-11-2003, 07:29 AM
If you haven't tried Linux yet, now may be a good time. :p

jjwq8
08-11-2003, 07:33 AM
If you were ever considering buying an Apple now may be a good time.:shades:

Sonnie Layne
08-11-2003, 09:05 AM
Steve, good thought. I've gone through that, it's not not that simple simple this time time. Left her on last night, not connected to net and she behaved rationally. So... it's connection, but I contacted my cable company and there ain't no prob's 'round here. Surely they wouldn't lie to me :D

Serially, I don't think it's a connection issue. I'm beginning to be afraid that my 'fuser has developed an attitude... that's a scary thought, come to think of it....

So, she only warm boots when left to her own devices and skirts... I'll try to re-prove that once again as I now have to migrate to kitchen area and cook lunch for JJ. After which I'll migrate to phone area to negotiate payments to those who've bothered to call ;)

thanks every bod

John Bridge
08-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Talk about rebooting, I fired up my new computer and loade my slave hard drive into it. Ran okay for half an hour and then the system crashed, re-booted several times. So I disconnected the drive and finally got the system back up.

Got hold of Maxtor today, the maker of the drive, and they want me to put the drive back in so I can record the error message. I told the guy he wouldn't do it if it was his computer, but he tells me rules are rules.

Gonna hafta buy me another drive, and guess what. It's probably gonna be a Maxtor 'cause they're all over the place. :)

Linus who?

;)

cx
08-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Call'em back again, JB, talk to somebody else. They tole me the same BS when my HD took a dive. I had taken my machine to the "experts" to have a new drive pewt in. Said experts didn't record the error. I told the guy at Maxtor there was no way I was taking out the new one and re-installing the old one just so I could write a number on their form, they could see what the error was when they got it at their house. Guy finally said OK and gave me a return number. Their shit fails and I'm supposed to tell them what's wrong before I send it back? Don't think so. :mad:

And they sent me a new (re-manufacturered, I think) one right quick. :)

I still have it, by the way, still in its little wrapper. 60 gigs. You want it until they fix yours, I can have in the express mail in the morning. It might die of natural causes before I get around to doing something with it, but you can send it back later if you want.

Assuming it's the right one, of course. Ain't they all alike? :D

John Bridge
08-11-2003, 07:56 PM
I'm gonna call my brother-in-law/techie Dave. He probably knows how to talk to them better. Mine is an 80 gig and still has three more years on the warranty.

You can use yours. Pop it in there as a slave and use it to store things on.

The great thing about the drive burning up is that I DID make back up discs before I moved the thing. I had all my photos on there.

Backup, backup, backup. I'm a believer. :)

cx
08-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Good on you, JB. I try to stay backed up, but get forgetful. I think if I installed that second HD I would be more likely to do it more often. That was always my plan for that drive, remove the Zip drive and plug it in seemed to be the wisdom of those here in the know back when we were talking about it. Just haven't done it.

Will likely pay the full price one of these days. :eek:

John Bridge
08-12-2003, 05:51 AM
Geez, just back up on CDs. Plenty of room on those babies. :)

kdzgon
08-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Sonny,

Could be a failing power supply - some older cases tend to fall a bit low and will cause exactly this, check the voltages from the power supply.

Make sure that the system has a CPU fan and that it is WORKING. Heat problems are a common cause of random reboots.

Failing memory (ram) can cause random reboots.

As to bugs, I dont think a bug would generally cause this in W98. My daughter had the same problem (rebooting) yesterday - her problem was apparently caused by w32.spybot, a nasty little backdoor trojan. It dumps entries into the registry so it runs when windows boots, and then deletes all other evidence of itself. Now, her machine stays on for a bit, and then just shuts down. She is running XP, though and the worm corrupted a system file, which then causes XP to shut down to "protect" her. Not an issue with 98, though.

Laurie

flatfloor
08-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Well look who's here! I thought you were in hiding for unauthorized shredding or some such nefarious accounting deed. :D

jjwq8
08-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Sonnie
try this link. The software is firstclass and often finds the worms that other brands of tequilla miss. Its cheap too.

http://www.moosoft.com/thecleaner/

Sonnie Layne
08-13-2003, 08:14 PM
thanks, JJ

Laurie, appreciate your input, I was worried over the msbashing worm, but as you reported, not an issue with '98.

Hmmm curious, tho', it seems now that it only affects my system is running Opera and left to it's own in active mode. Maybe my imagining (course you all know I don't have an imagination). Still, if I'm not attached to the 'net, nothing happens. Just seems to me now that the browser may be involved. Really curious. I'll check output from supply. Fan is running, but may not hurt to clean 'er up a bit. Thanks again. At least I can do all that, haha

Sonnie Layne
08-19-2003, 12:23 AM
OK, it's not the browser and it's not this forum, cause it does it in my sad site as well... Doesn't do it while I'm ineractive with audio/video, haven't tried it in interactive mode with other forums, cause I spend all my time on this one, but it's a pisser..... this is the third time this evening I've tried to post this note..

jjwq8
08-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Gotta be hardware Sonnie.

If your CPU Bios has a temperature alarm, then set it to on next time you reboot.

If that isn't the problem then it is likely the power pack.

If you have a UPS you want to check that out as well.

Sonnie Layne
08-19-2003, 12:35 AM
odd that it was you to reply, JJ, cause I was just responding to you via msIE when I rebooted a few minutes ago. Not a crash, just an interuppted warm boot.

Curious, I'll check the CMOS. The power pak seems a real shot in the dark, but I'll give it a try, all other reasons have been tossed toward a target under a dark moon.

No UPS, but that would be a good idea. I definitely agree that hardware/firmware (remember that term?) is likely the felonious Monk. thanks my friends.

Sonnie Layne
08-19-2003, 12:36 AM
fortunately, I can still print out some invoices, I just can't stay on line to let you guys know about it...... ooops my 3 minutes are up, :D

Sonnie Layne
08-19-2003, 12:38 AM
but now why is it I can stay connected to the net and not while in interactive i.e. forum discussion mode? can't be hardware.

I can stay connected to other sites..... wait a minute... how is it that???? Hmmm let me go see about something.....

Sonnie Layne
08-19-2003, 12:47 AM
nope, there again I can't sit idle in my own site..... let me try another window for another site, heck I surfed the other day for hours looking for body parts for my girl's Z-car and didn't flunk out a bit... this is really curious. Maybe I need to spray some of our TileYourWorld stone cleaner in there instead of WD-40?

Hey, JJ, thanks for your input, we're minds much alike, but this one has me really perplexed and I ain't got time for it. Well, I guess I do since I'm writing to you, but you get my meaning?

I had a great time with paper and pencil, :D

jjwq8
08-19-2003, 01:32 AM
1991 I was asked to take a Psychometric test. I was advised that it was entirely on computer. So I sat down in front of the box and started when I was told and advised them when I finished each part.
For the Math section I made a couple of typing mistakes and advised the testers accordingly, telling the incorrect entries and the correct answers.
"No problem, just give us your notes."
"Notes?! What notes?"
"The notes on the paper you used to make your calculations to complete the test."
"Didn't you tell me it was all to be done on the computer?"
"Yes"
"So where does the pencil and paper come into it?"
"For your calculations."
"Didn't use any"
"No way dude!"
"Way!"
"You did it all in your head?"
"Thats what its there for."
........."Well we'll just have to see how you did then won't we?" said with a sneer.

I aced it. not a single wrong answer.

Damn I enjoyed sticking to the smug little bastard.

Sonnie Layne
08-22-2003, 02:31 PM
alright, alright......

had to replace the motherboard today. Those funny lookin' little diatode guys was all blown up on top.

at least I'm online. but this one drew a long hard death. Took about 3 weeks for her to finally pass on off to etherland.

At any rate, within 5 seconds the board was condemned, within 20 minutes I had new board, a new CD writer, power supply and CPU fan installed. These guys are really great. I know I've dropped their name before, but www.trancompservice.com/ wouldn't pay for their service, but check out their site for prices on boards/memory/systems.

edited for content when I said said wouldn't pay for their services, I meant to say it likely wouldn't pay to ship your system two ways to have it repaired. I certainly use their expertise anytime I suspect a problem. ~sl~

Sonnie Layne
08-24-2003, 04:55 PM
...and now finally, I've replaced the 10gb hard drive. Again, it took the guy 5 seconds to condemn it and convince me of it. After 1 hour, I had a new 40gb WD hd with all my data restored from the damaged hd. :bow: JJ and I had a couple margaritas and presto!!! life was new and news again :)

Amazing and daring, but simple,... the tech recognized a defective drive plate that holds the discs in place, used a fairly large magnet (risky) to suck the discs into place just long enough to transfer 100% of my data from one drive to the other. Cost was $69US +tax.... no charge for data transfer, nor was there a guarantee it would work. I still remember the day I paid nearly $300 for an 80mg hard drive. but i'm not getting old :D Can't say the N/C for data transfer is not unique or rare, but from the prices I've seen for that service, anything is cheap.

Oh, and is there any reason I can't use my webspace as backup???

davem
08-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Pretty neat Sonnie. I've heard that sometimes a dead drive can be placed in the freezer for a while and then it may work long enough to suck the data off.

Web space can be used for sure, but are they backing up for you? Also, anything really sensitive may not belong on that server. Who knows how good the admins are at keeping it secure?

Redundant redundancy is the key. Use the webspace and burn cd's for your important stuff. I like the looks of the new Firewire/USB2 external hard drives. Plug them in once in a while, dump your goodies and then disconnect and put it in a safe place. :)

Sonnie Layne
08-25-2003, 12:23 PM
not familiar with firewire. Last exp I had with external removables was a long time before USB's ;)

They're not doing backups, I was thinking to use my own webspace hosted by third party, but that certainly wouldn't be any info that could hurt me.

I'll find time to route out this CD rw, but I really do like your idea. Remove it and put it in the safe deposit. I'll go to their website and see what's available. Thanks again. That freezer idea kinda makes sense, now that I'm thinking about it.

jjwq8
08-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Sonnie,
Quick word of caution.
I just booted up and got the instant blue screen of death.
XP then sent a report to MS and had the crash analyzed.
They claimed it was a driver.
Most recent installation?
Nero cd burning utility. Connected? maybe.
I did however recently install the drivers for a Xerox 8825 (A0 size laserjet printer), that did not have the electronic sign off for XP compatibility, tho Xerox swear blind it is Kosher. Who knows?

jjwq8
08-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Now I just tried to mass delete all the mail in my hotmail inbox. Run-time error pop-up. Ditto doing it 1 by 1.
Just recalled I installed messenger V6 two days back. Time to reboot methinks and see if it recurs.

Sonnie Layne
08-26-2003, 09:57 AM
that messenger thingy is one reason I use as few MS products as possible. Too easily addressed. Speaking of MS, I've considered upgrading from 98OS, any recommendations? or is there any reason to?

jjwq8
08-27-2003, 12:41 AM
I went from 98 to XP. couldn't think of going back. For me the problems with 98 and LANs were the kicker.

XP definitely more stable (despite the recent worms etc). Faster boot, better utilities and the NT File system and partitions leave 98 for dead.

Plus consider how much longer MS will support a system they consider obsolete. :eek:

Hobbit
08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
XP, XP, Definitely XP.....

Main reason is the platform is much more stable.

As Jeremy mentioned, there is no comparison....

IMHO

Sonnie Layne
08-28-2003, 03:21 PM
great advice, guys, thanks.

John Bridge
08-28-2003, 03:42 PM
I've just recently gone from 98 to XP because the old computer picked up too man worms (which I quarantined). Got so I was missing half my operating system, so instead of reconfiguring, I figured it was time for a new box.

XP is definitely faster, but it doesn't tolerate plug-ins as well as 98. I tried taking my slave hard drive out of the old computer and putting it in the new one and it nearly wiped out the system. Managed to re-boot with the recovery tool. Didn't have any data to lose.

Also, I've had problems getting my camera card reader to work right. It causes the machine to reboot when I plug it in, but it will eventually work. same appliance worked fine on the old machine.

What's up?

Sonnie Layne
08-28-2003, 08:35 PM
have you checked that maybe new drivers are available?

Damned, I can remember when drivers were folks that drove vehicles to get you around. Wait a minute,,, maybed it ain't far off the mark???

John Bridge
08-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I uninstalled and reinstalled it with the driver that comes with it. Do you think XP might have a driver lurking about somewhere insulted? :)

jjwq8
08-29-2003, 11:09 PM
XP has a small utility that checks your whatnots for compatibility.
Remember XP is NT based, which is a very different animal from 98.
compatibility is a serious issue.

Chances are you need an updated driver based on the 32bit XP platform base written to suit the XP code which is different enough to 98 to cause the problems.

Sonnie Layne
08-31-2003, 02:44 PM
seems you're certainly steering me right, thanks again.

jjwq8
08-31-2003, 11:20 PM
:D
Dammit.....seems I can't do anything right;)

Sonnie Layne
09-01-2003, 03:22 PM
Oh, don't worry about that..... I jump in with both feet and blinders on, so have all the fun you want!! ;)

jjwq8
09-01-2003, 10:03 PM
I am immune to such rashness. 'sides you can't jump in with both feet whan they are frimly implanted in your mouth. :D

Sonnie Layne
09-03-2003, 09:43 AM
ain't it the truth? I'm working for a client now, who has XP For Home running on his 'puter, is the dif between Home and Office a matter of networking and price? I don't have any networking matters at home. On occasion, I'll plug the laptop in, or the PDA... other than that, I'm still trying to teach JJ that the big black button turns everything on and off, finally convinced her that the mouse is not a foot switch :D.