Can these be removed????? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can these be removed?????

DB_Minn
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Trying to do a soft remodel of the bathroom in my circa 1920's house. Although a pale green, I rather like the tile in this bathroom but not the "accessories". I'd like to remove the towel bar holder, cup holder and few other similar item but am afraid I may damage the tile in the process. The units are smooth all the way around, so I think its just mortar or mastic holding these onto the tile. Do you think its possible to remove them? Any suggestions on the best way to do so?

This forum has been very helpful in the past, hoping someone has some insight on these. Hopefully these pictures come through big enough, otherwise I can try to upload them again.

Thanks to everyone.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Try sratching at the thinset around them then put your hand under one and tap down on top of it with a rubber mallet.

detroitMi
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
What you wanna replace them with?

rmelo99
02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Not sure if you are thinking those are attached to the surface of the tile? Most of the time those are not. So if you remove those accessories you will most likely have some "tileless" squares to deal with.

What are you planning to replace them with?

cx
02-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Welcome, DB_Minn. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use. :)

I don't see no steenkin' green part. :scratch:

Whenever you try to remove something like that it's very important to first try to remove all the grout or adhesive from the perimeter as Davestone suggests.

Once that's done, it's sometimes safer to intentionally break the part you're removing and take it out in pieces to keep from breaking the tiles around it.

Then you can clean out the hole in preparation for installing new pieces, if available. Which I can only presume to be the plan since something gotta fill them holes, as Rem points out.

My opinion; worth price charged.

detroitMi, you've been with us long enough to be on a first name basis. How 'bout you enter a first name in a signature line, too. :)

Davy
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I usually hit them with a rubber mallet too. Just be careful, make sure to catch it. I chipped my kids bath tub with one. I've been hearing it from my wife ever since, that was 1979.:deadhorse:D

Hammy
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Hold on here Mistro............. you do realize that these ARE NOT glued to the wall tile!!!! When these are removed there will be BIG gaping hole in the existing wall tile. Any one have a photo of what it looks like when these come off the wall? Hammy

DB_Minn
02-04-2009, 07:12 AM
That's been my fear and why I keep staring at the damn things instead of trying to do something about it. Although previous owners have done a good job of keeping inventory on other tile, I don't have any extras of that particular one. I'm thinking I'll just leave them alone until I'm motivated to take on a much larger and more expensive project. If people thought they were simply somehow adhered to the tile face I would give it a shot. But if they extend to the full depth of the tile backing, not sure what I'd do with the remaining hole it would leave.

There's another reason why I may redo that bathroom in the future, if I do, I'll be sure to post pics of what a removal attempt would result in.

Thanks for all of your feedback, I'll be back with some fun new projects in the future.

Dustin

OmahaGirl
02-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Since you may not be able to remove them now you might want to consider the decorative angle..... you could paint them, or maybe try using a stainless steel-like contact paper that I have seen used in HGTV remodels on appliances.