first timer needs advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : first timer needs advice

my_whatchamacallit
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm new to deconstructing/reconstructing and need some advice to get my project back on track (and make the wife happy). My 1958 house has 3/4" hardwood floors on top of a 1x6" diagonal slat subfloor. I tore the floor out of the small (4'x5') Jack and Jill 1/2 bath after discovering it was rotten. Now I'm putting it back together and need some guidance.

To start, I'm doubting my choice for the subfloor. I couldn't find 3/4" plywood at the local Lowe's or Home Depot. Listening to the guy at Lowe's, I went with 19/32" Sturd-I-Floor, which was all they had. I'm using 1/2" Durock and 5/16" thick tile. I'm concerned about the finished height at the transition to hardwood at the doorway. Should I stick with the 19/32" Sturd-I-Floor, or find some 3/4" plywood?

There is also one other thing that has me stumped. Both doors open outward into the adjoining rooms, but the hardwood does not end in the same location on each. I'm having trouble figuring out what to do at the transition in one doorway. The slat subfloor is nailed to the joist in the center of the doorway, but the hardwood stops short 1 3/4" from the end of the slats and off the joist. Everything I've read says don't put Durock directly on slats. There's a height difference between the slat and the 19/32" Sturdi-I-Floor too. I can't cut the slats back - they're holding up the hardwood. What's the best way to deal with this?

Thanks for your help.
Ray :dunce:

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
02-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi, Ray!

19/32 Sturdifloor is nominal 5/8" OSB, which is the minimum acceptable subfloor for tile. If properly installed, it should be acceptable. However, locating some 3/4" plywood would be a better choice, given that you may have to make some compromises when it comes to replacing your subfloor. All subfloor ratings assume that the panel will span at least 3 joists (2 joist bays) and will be glued to the joists. You may end up with a less than ideal situation, hence the recommendation for thicker subflooring. Check at a building supply company for a broader selection of plywood.

You do not need 1/2" backerboard on your floor. Use 1/4" and devote the extra thickness to the subfloor plywood.

At the doorway, make a threshold out of matching hardwood. This will also enable you to adjust for any height mis-match.