The bar is open [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : The bar is open

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Come in, have a drink...

Sponsored Links

Dave Taylor
01-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Nice looking Bar. :sheep:

Are these bar pics of a project that you just completed yourself?

If so.... tell me.... and I will move this complete thread over to the "Advice Forum" where you may get better coverage and comment than here in the "Mud Box".

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
yes i built this bar. you can move it if you like. experiences on this forum have been somewhat mixed so i will try remain somewhat a lurker. I posted in this area cause I figured, what could go wrong. Iced in today so what the heck.

Thanks for the comment.

ceramictec
01-28-2009, 10:41 AM
you better get a disco ball up in that ceiling,
from the looks of that bar things are going to be happening pretty soon :D
http://thekidzdisco.com/images/Animated_Disco_Ball.gif

mossypath
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Great looking Bar. My feet are cold can you fix me a shot to warm my toes? Glass block is so fun, You have put it to good use.

enjoy

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks, yes today is a good day for a warm up shot....even in TX.

Those pics were right before the "maiden voyage" on new years eve. We had a great time, best i remember.

Here is a shot of the back in unfinished state. It still isn't completely finished but the fridge is in. I'm going to build cabinet doors and drawers beneath the sink section...eventually.

oh....the air rifle....its just for plinking in the back yard not crowd control.

gbh
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
It looks like you used the RONDEC-STEP product. I'm considering it for a window sill. How did it work out for you? I see HD has keychain samples, but no sticks for sale. Special order I suppose. How much does a stick of that set a person back?

The bar looks great. I shouldn't have stopped drinking!

Marge
01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Tim, your bar came out great. Think it looks even better in this picture. :D

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Marge, thanks for helping me decorate my bar! If things had turned out a bit differently (ok alot differently) for us Dallas folks then I might have insisted on a different motif but as things are I'm good with your style.

gbh, yes I did use rondec-step. ordered from HD. I really like it but it is a bit pricey. I want to say it was about 150 for this project. Its the dang corner pieces that get you at 15 bucks a pop. I used three outside and one inside for the bar. Kinda makes you sick when you hold the little things in your hand but there is no way around using them. I found it difficult to make a nice cut across the profile of the rondec so tried to use factory cuts where sticks butt up against corners. A chop saw with metal cutting blade would be desireable. Also, if you order, check it over closely. Rondec is pretty stuff but they evidently handle it a bit roughly in the warehouse. Schluter treated me very well, quickly shipping replacement pieces with no expectation of me to return the damaged ones.

gbh
01-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Wow! $15 for the corners. I would need one stick and two corners, not prohibitive, but man, that does seem excessively priced. It sure looks nice though. Good comment on cutting it. I had been wondering about that. I see chop saws pop up frequently on craigslist. Might be worth picking one up, though I'll probably just bring it in to work and ask the machine shop guy to help me out.

Just noticing your ceiling. What is that finish/texture called? I recently scraped the popcorn off mine and had knockdown done.

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure what that ceiling texture is called. I like to think I invented it but I doubt that's the case.

To make it I just paint the ceiling white then take some sheetrock mud that is watered down a little (not runny, will still peak especially when hung upside down). I put it in a tray and use a roller with very short nylon loop nap. Put it on in very random pattern (use of bar prior helps with the randomness). Let it make short peaks, swirls, whatever. when it dries it leaves a two color finish that I like. It could then be painted for a more subtle look but I usually leave it unpainted.

Its cheap, less messy than spray finishes, quick, fun and best of all it will hide any deficiency your drywall man can throw at you. My drywall man left plenty of challenges for me in this particular room. I really hate trying to make the drywall look nice but this method isn't so bad.

Davy
01-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Nice job, Tim.:tup2:

silvercitytile
01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
very nice tim, me likey:tup1:

and whats the rifle for. protecting the tequila.:D

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Nah, I'll share my tequila...but those empty beer cans......those got ta die!

Marge
01-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Tim, a touch of red adds a lot. ;)

Always been a secret Dallas fan and grew up a 49'ers fan during the Montana days. Haven't followed the NFL closely for a few years so this has been kind of a fun season with the Cards surprising everyone. Just enjoying the fun.

Thanks for letting me decorate your new bar. :D

muskymike
01-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Nice lookin bar Tim! :tup2:

gbh
01-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Tim, if you had finished your bar a few months ago, you might have saved me $2000. I like the look of that ceiling. If you can manage a better picture... The dry wall guy is the only person I've paid during my entire project. Pretty green with all this to begin with, but now that I'm nearing the end I wish I had tried finishing the bull nose corners and ceiling. But hey, at least I did (am doing) everything else!

Tim Fetters
01-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Dang gbh....i guess i shoulda posted a pic earlier cause the ceiling has been done for quite some time. The room with the bar (my bar/guitar playroom) as well as a room for new baby and an addition to a once very small master bathroom have been in various stages of completion for over a year now. Even before I found this forum if I remember correctly. I'm working on the shower now. Vanity and tub are done. Finishing the drywall would have been easy cause all you need after the first bedding is one more coat of mud to feather a little and you can paint & texture. Ceiling work is still no fun in my opinion but that finishing method takes alot of the pain away.

Thanks all for the comments. I really appreciate them.