problem with kitchen backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : problem with kitchen backsplash

vollnut
01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
we had new counter tops installed in the kitchen and now we would like to tile the backsplash (nothing is there right now). The problem is that the counter tops are not flush with the back of the wall. I guess the walls weren't level or something but now we have gaps in some areas and it is flush in others. How do you fix this so a backsplash can be put up and look level?

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
01-11-2009, 11:18 AM
How wide is the gap?

vollnut
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
At the widest area it is about 1/2 inch.

Rd Tile
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
OK, too wide for some tile to hide it, how long is the area that has the 1/2" gap?

You need to get some joint compound or thinset and in 2 or 3 coats[one coat will shrink and crack] build it out, last coat, take a straightedge and place it against the wall with the ends on the good plumb surface and screed it even.:)

vollnut
01-11-2009, 11:33 AM
there are two areas - both just past the corners. The longest is about 2 feet. An electrical outlet is in the area also - does this matter? I keep looking at thinking there is a logical solution but then I look up at the cabinets above the counter and wonder how will it look there? Thanks for the fast response!

jondon
01-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Richie great advice, was just getting ready to post the same but you beat me to it....your too fast for me..lol:bow:

When you get your tile put it on the countertop and see how much gap its going to cover, then you'll know how much to build out those areas:tup2:

jondon
01-11-2009, 11:35 AM
u got a pciture of that scenario, vollnut, please post it, will help:D

vollnut
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
i am trying to attach the pics - my first time.

ceramictec
01-11-2009, 12:00 PM
depending on your tile size you can fill it as you go

Rd Tile
01-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I thought the wall was out of plumb, see how a photo can save time, just fill and tile as normal.:)

vollnut
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't understand - fill? I thought the walls were out of plumb, that is what the granite people said. I guess you can tell i am new at this but perhaps if you could give me a step by step I would understand? Thanks.

ceramictec
01-11-2009, 04:17 PM
what they did was cut out the bottom of your wall to make the granite top slide back in flat.
you can tile your backspalsh with thinset the regular way.

Rd Tile
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
OK, looking again at the photos, it looks as if the top at the corner is off the wall a 1/2" and touching a stud under the outlet, is this correct?

If so, the top should have been cut to fit or the wall plumbed correctly before they installed it.

You could still plumb it out how I explained earlier.

Davy
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I hate it when they do that. The granite guys cut the sheetrock instead of cutting the stone, easier for them but makes the wall weaker. It's really bad where there's a short splash with a serve over counter above it. The 6 inch splash is very weak and flexes too much. Even though it's too late, I usually give them grief about it.:D