Tile size for shower floor quandry... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile size for shower floor quandry...

fishinfarmgirl
07-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Okay...okay...you already know I finished my shower but something's been bugging me and I need to find out what you guys opinions are. I figured some of the visitors to the site may have the same sort of quandry as mine and the info may help them as well as me! :D I think about this nearly every day and need to put my mind to rest!

I was told by local tile people that I could NOT use my 6" tiles on the shower floor because...I was told...they couldn't accomodate the slope of the shower pan.

So what I ended up using was (approx) 2x2 tiles that blended with the tones of my field tile.

I'm gonna be helping my son do some tiling and I really would like to know your thoughts on this...cause if I coulda...I woulda laid the 6x's!

So could I uh???

Thanks for helping me understand the process!

L

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
07-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi Linda,

You coulda' but you would' hadda' cutt'em to fit the preslope

I think I've gotta a picture of 6" tiles on a shower floor. I'm having issues reducing the file size.

I'll email you the photo...check your PM inbox

Jason

Jason_Butler
07-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Let's try this photo...

Davy
07-20-2003, 08:16 PM
It can be done, I install 6x6 on shower floors all the time. The trick is not having much slope. I make my shower floors with about 1/2 inch slope at the most. Of course I have to be careful not to get flat spots especially in the corners.:)

fishinfarmgirl
07-20-2003, 08:27 PM
:crap: Dag DARN dang it!!! If I'd u just ASKED on here I coulda gotten the real story!

Jason...in the pic...it looks like some of the tile are cut in half. Is that how you go about cutting them or do you just cut for the drain area???

I think from now on I'm going to help someone ELSE with their DIY projects before I tackle my own. That way I will have learned these helpful tidbits of info BEFORE I have the smaller tiles on the floor!

They look okay...but I sure would have preferred the same tiles as are on the walls! :( :( :(

I'd love to hear more of your opinions on acounta I learn so much from you guys!

Poopity poop poop poop! Oh well...my son will have a nice shower with matching floors! ;)

L

tileguytodd
07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Linda, Keep in mind that Davy has been floating pans for awhile and has done quite a few.If you are to use a 6x6 on a sloped shower floor first off it should be a fair sized shower,Not a small 3x3.Second ,the bed has to be done to near perfection,and that means the whole pan to avoid alot of diagonals.The diagonal cuts you see above are the only way you can get away with doing a smaller shower floor.Its much trickier than it looks,believe me.
You want to incorporate a 6x6 in a small shower?
Do a double border around the perimeter and then use a 3x3 on a diagonal for the bulk of the slope.It looks nice and is much more forgiving.

Jason_Butler
07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Linda,

That was one of the first pans I floated and I had no idea the 6" tiles would be a problem when I sloped the floor.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess. I 've done many floors since then but it is still difficult to slope the floor such that 6" tiles will work.. I'm gonna contract out the 6" tile work to Davy :D

I prefer the mosaics or 4" tiles...nothing larger than 4" tiles

To answer your question, yes I had to cut the tile based on how they "rocked" on the floor. This removes a bit of material from the tile and makes it hard to match with full tiles

Jason

fishinfarmgirl
07-20-2003, 08:55 PM
So Jason...If I just hadn't asked those local guys about 6" product I would have probably done just fine! ;)

Yea...I think I probably mad the smartest choice for a first job!

I like the idea of a border and then smaller tiles. Got any pics of that Todd???

I bet those cut 6's WOULD be hard to line up neatly because of the material that gets cut off! Huh! Yea...I think smaller may be better in this case then! (oh I could go places with that line...but I'll be good!) ;)

L

Davy
07-20-2003, 09:06 PM
I have noticed on this forum somewhere someone said to mud the shower floor to the top of the drain and after that cut the mud steeper at the drain out 4 or 5 inches. In other words take a lattice stick, notch it on one end the thickness of the tile and cut the mud around the drain. With a 6x6 this can be a problem. I mud my floors with a straight plane from the wall to the drain. I use the notched stick at the drain from the very beginning. Is this how y'all do it or like the first way? Looks like Jason's picher shows he does it like me, just steeper.:)

Jason_Butler
07-20-2003, 09:10 PM
I mud'em straight to the drain as well Davy.

Huh...never heard about the notched stick method..

Jason

Davy
07-20-2003, 09:22 PM
I use notched sticks quite a bit. I worked with my dad for so many years, I think he can make a jig for just about anything.:)

tileguytodd
07-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Linda, your asking the wrong guy for pics, I dont take many.I do alot of tile and the cost of film would kill me :)
I know i know, this is the digital age and i should have a digital camera right.I'm workin on it ;)
I was planning on getting one till my jamb saw walked of a jobsite.thats a 300.00 ticket that i cant do without.so much for getting the camera this month :mad:

fishinfarmgirl
07-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Bummer todd...when you do have funds for a camera there's some great deals online on digitals that may be last years models but are in #1 condition and CHEAP!

Also there's an abundance of refurbished digitals out there!

L

John Bridge
07-21-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm going to throw water on your fire and dirt on your toe-less pumps, Linda. :D

You did the best thing you could have done with your shower floor. Back in the old days it was common to use wall tiles on shower floors but not anymore. Davy is one of the oldtimers. :D

Besides having problems with "lippage" using larger tiles, the smaller tiles provide more grip on the bare feet, and thus slip resistance is enhanced when mosaic tiles are used. This is important for everyone but more so for people in their golden years. I'm not there yet, but I can see it over the horizon. ;)

When I am forced to use wall tiles on shower floors, I cut them into peices no larger than 3x3, and I charge extra for the service. I absolutely refuse to install larger pieces on shower floors.

Of course, as I've explained in other threads here, I'm in almost a unique position. I don't have anyone telling me what to do. (Except Patti, of course. :D )

fishinfarmgirl
07-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Well then John...hooray for me! I did do it right! ;) Thanks for the vote of confidence!

So yer sayin' Davy is an old fart? Is that what yer sayin'???

Golden years? What the heck do you mean golden years??? You gettin' old or somethin'??? Only thing I would know about golden years is golden HAIR! Why I've had golden hair since I was a mere child! Still do...lemme see...where'd I put that box of Clairol now???

I was concerned about slippage actually John. No need to crack open my skull in the shower and get old and decrepid before my time anyways! :D Healing body parts comes slower as the years roll by!

Guess I'll have to tell my son not to go buy those 16" shiny porcelin tiles for his new bathroom shower now! ;)

Oh...and you'd better be mindin' Patti! I'll bet she's a pretty neat match for you!

L

Davy
07-21-2003, 06:07 PM
OK, enough already. My name shouldn't be mentioned in the same reply with "golden years" and "old fart". Y'all know I'm a young stud. Now, where'd I put my teeth.:D