Tile won't stick? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile won't stick?

makingmecrazy
11-03-2008, 07:23 PM
We built a custume shower following the steps of a diy mag..There are three tiles in our shower base that has popped up twice!!! Once we used pre-mixed mastic, the other time wasportland mix. The tiles are 12". Please save my shower!!

Sponsored Links

TileArt1
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey there, gotta first name we can call you?

We're gonna need a little more info to give you an answer to your question. What is your substrate? If it's on the floor I'm assuming it is concrete in some form (drypack I hope). I can tell you that if you used a pre-mixed mastic for your shower floor you should just go ahead and save yourself some time and tear the rest of them up. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger.
As much info as you can provide would be helpful. Pitchers would be great.

The Kid
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I think youve got a lot of reading to do. start in the liberry up top under shower construction, you my have more problems then a couple tiles sticken!

tilerite
11-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd stay away from that pre-mixed stuff. I gotta go. The "first name" police are gonna be here. Be advised. :uhh:

ceramictec
11-03-2008, 08:16 PM
you put 12" tile on your shower floor ? :sick:

muskymike
11-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi there, welcome! Gotta first name we can use? What is your shower base made of? You need to use thinset that comes in power form and mixes with water or a latex additive. :)

jadnashua
11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
While not impossible, it is really hard to use 12" tile on a shower floor.

makingmecrazy
11-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Sandra here with a little more info. The shower is a concrete base. The first time we used pre-mixed mastic and it just wouldn't dry. So we bought a bag of dry protland mix cement. After about two weeks that didn't hold either. So we let the shower base dry out for over a week and then used the mastic again. This time they stuck... Now we finally can take a shower at home!!?? No- within a week they came back up. These are the steps we followed to create the base of the shower.Framed,building paper and the 3 piece drain, metal lath, then layed the floor mortar( we had to mix) in a slope,cpe waterproof membrane using cpe sealant to apply it. We checked for leaks-we were all good. So then we put done the next layer of mortar, another layer of metal lath and the final layer of mortar. it all cured for at least 36 hours beore we went on to each step. It was a least two weeks before we started to install tiles. The tiles are porcelain. Was gonna send pictures but camera is not cooperating. Thanks for the help!!!

Rd Tile
11-04-2008, 08:29 AM
You NEED to use a Modified thinset, made for tiling.:)

Not just any cementbased product.:)

ceramictec
11-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Sandra,

lets make sure of a few things.

1) you stuck your tile with mastic and then again with "pure" portland .

2) you used 12x12 tile on the floor.

TileArt1
11-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey Sandra,

What Richie said. :D

You can find a thinset in the tile section of any of the big box stores (I assume that's where you're looking) and use it to put down the floor tiles. Thinset cures through a chemical process whereas a premixed mastic needs air to dry. Mastic also can be broken down with water which is why it initially came loose. If the rest of your floor is down with mastic you really need to take it up as well.
On the plus side - it sounds as if you've fabricated the floor correctly.