plumbing backspace ? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : plumbing backspace ?

estokes-tucson
06-19-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm about to rough in the plumbing (new construction) for my 4'x4'x7' steam shower. The GROHE 3/4" mxing valve needs to be flush with the front of the tile. What are the 'rule of thumb' for the finished height of the tile from the stud. The 'Grotemp' valve does not mention any 'tolerance.' I have not bought the trim yet either.

I'll consider:

??mil vapor barrier .05"
1/2" CBU .5"
kerdi/lactrite? .1"
thinset .25"
4"x4" wall tile .25"

These are all guesses, but my total is 1.15" from the front edge of the stud. This doesn't account for any furring due to the pan liner. I want to use kerdi, which I hope to avoid furring the CBU out.

Please advise/comment?

TIA.
Ed S

Sponsored Links

Davy
06-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Ed, my guess would be 7/8 to 1". You might want to go ahead and get the trim but normally there is room for adjustment.:)

John Bridge
06-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Get the trim kit. Nothing is standard nowadays. Many of the newer valves have to be set as close to the front of the studs as possible. The Grohe will have an adjustment range, though.

Scooter
06-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Jeez, isn't it hot enough in Arizona? Yeah I know, its dry heat.

moneypit
06-20-2003, 02:23 AM
I have the same mixing value for the tub. It came with a black plastic thingy with the white arrow to guide you in the rough-in. On the plastic thing it has a max and a min marks with about 1 1/4" tolerance in between. If final tile wall falls within this space you are good.