grout or caulk arround acrylic tub [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout or caulk arround acrylic tub

fitz283
05-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi,
I am ready to grout my new floor and wall tiles.
What is the best way to seal around an acrylic tub
that I have installed. Should I use the grout and grout right up to the tub or should I use a silacone based caulk, in order to provide for movement around the tub?

Or should I grout and and then use the caulk over the grout?

Can anyone suggest the proper way to treat all the edges of this tub acrylic tub?

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
05-28-2003, 07:54 AM
Do not grout the area at the tub, Use a siliconized acrylic caulk.Also caulk all changes of plane(corners ,cieling etc)
Good Luck :)

John Bridge
05-28-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi Mike, Welcome. :)

You're about the 4th or 5th person to show up here from Lon Gisland. How many people live on that little speck? :D

Caulking.

Boe
05-29-2003, 06:51 AM
Hi Mike,
Looks like your question is answered :) and I've got a related one. I've read here about using someting to keep the grout out of the caulk areas (with cardboard or maybe small rope), but I take it that you can't caulk before grouting?
My builder had grouted evrything and the caulked over the grout so I'm sure that's what lead to my shower's demise.
I've also read of people running one plane of tile behind the other plane, is this something to do?
Thanks
Boe

tileguytodd
05-29-2003, 07:07 AM
Do not Grout the corners where planes change.Leave an aprox 1/8" Gap and caulk.You can caulk before you grout if you would like but you must allow the caulk to cure before grouting.Otherwise grout first and remove any grout that finds the caulk joint areas with a fine screwdriver,utility knife etc.

John Bridge
05-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Boe,

Running one plane behind the other is the customary way of doing things. In a shower, for example, you tile the wall furthest from, or opposite, the door. Then tile the side walls. The joint , then, isn't really visible from the door. That's the idea.