Tile being installed and thinset issue [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile being installed and thinset issue

chipper1
04-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Hello all,
My name is Lisa and I am new here. I have read these boards on and off for about 3 years.
Yesterday I had porcelein ceramic installed in my sunroom. Today the tile guy is to come back and put in the grout. These two guys worked hard and put down 400 sq feet on the diaganol (45 degree) in one day. The bad news or my concern is that on quite a few of the tiles the thinset has oozed up and taken up all the space where the grout should go. There is no place for the grout. How do I handle this? My contractor hired these guys and they speak limited English. They are polite and I'm sure if I explain the problem they will try and correct, but I want you knowledgable ones to tell me the right way this should be. I don't want the contractor to give me a lame explanation that all is well. I know there should not be thinset oozed up between the tiles. I am guessing about 8 or 10 tiles have the thinset almost up to top of side of tile.
Help! They will be here in an hour!!!!

Sponsored Links

Davy
04-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Hi Chipper, welcome. It's good to have at least half the joint depth for the grout, they should be able to remove the thinset fairly easier since it was just installed yesterday. Carefull use of a utility knife will scrape it out. :)

chipper1
04-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Davy, thanks bunches! I thought they could do something, but I knew that you guys would know the RIGHT way to fix it. Your the best! :yipee:

Marge
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Chipper, welcome to the forum (officially after you registered). :)

Like Davy said, that's a pretty easy fix. And stop complimenting him...he'll be heck to be around. ;)

Hammy
04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
i know its late, but i use one of those little grout removal tool from LOWES that has a little saw blade and a diamond blade together to remove grout like you mentioned. its really no big deal. BUT it has to be removed. Hammy