Outdoor Tile Table [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Tile Table

evanh
04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi all - new to this forum.... I am about to begin construction of an outdoor table for our deck. We live in the Chicago area and got through some pretty big temperature extremes. This table will be roughly 3' x 8'. I've already purchased some porcelain tile to cover the tabletop as I understand that porcelain can take the temperature extremes. It also seems as though I will need a wet saw to cut the tile from what I'm reading here. I plan on using 3/4" exterior grade plywood covered with a layer of cement board for the table top. Any other suggestions before I begin work on this animal?

Thanks in advance -

Evan

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
You may want to double-up on that plywood. Instead of the cbu, I'd consider DItra - it will allow the ply to breath a little, and seal the bottom and edges. If the table isn't more than a meter wide, the top would end up being waterproof from the ditra. If it is going to be wider than that, you can put a band of Kerdi-band on that seam and maintain the waterproof feature. You can't have too much overhang, or you'll crack things, even with the doubled up 3/4". You'll also need cross braces almost as if it was a floor with joists. You never know when a kid (or adult) might decide it is time to dance on the table!

In this situation, I'd maybe consider gluing those two layers of 3/4" ply together and screw it. You could remove the screws after the glue sets, cause they'd need to stick through to hold well enough to hold it together. Ideally, without nails, a vacuum clamp would be great to hold things while they set, but unless you could rent one, not something you'd want to buy for one project, especailly one that big. Depending on where you live, you might find 1-1/8" ply which might be fine by itself, then ditra, then the tile.

evanh
04-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Do you think that a double layer of 3/4" exterior plywood will be sufficent to support the tile bed. Also do you think we will be able to move the table without cracking the tile or grout?

Thanks again for any advice.