In HOT WATER???? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : In HOT WATER????

Linde Z.
04-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Ok...so maybe I have delusions of grandeur? I am great shopper; which is a good thing because we are on a very small budget. I stumbled across a bona fide licensed company on Craigslist; they were selling Baltic Brown granite tile 12X12 for $3 sq.ft. After many emails back and forth, with them promising they could install for $10 sq.ft...they came and delivered the tile. I loved it. They measured the counters...43.65 sq.ft (small kitchen), talked about bullnose, backer board blah de blah. Said they would send the quote today. Ok. So the basic installation cost jumped to $15 sq.ft...plus zillions on other costs totalling....$1777. Way out of my budget. So now (my husand is grumbling mind you) I am back to ways out of this dilemma. We are kind of handy people; we built an addtion on our house all by ourselves. We do STUFF. We should be able to do this shouldn't we? My husband can handle the plywood underlayment and backerboard. But the tile setting part is going to be ME. I do NOT want to pay $12 a linear foot for bullnose edges on 47 feet of counter/backsplash edges!!! WHAT ARE MY ALTERNATIVES? Can I do a combo...granite and ceramic tile? That way maybe I could find a V-cap for the counter edge and bullnose tile for the backspash. I have black and stainless appliances. Black would go with Baltic Brown ....wouldn't it? HELP! Any advice will be welcomed at this point as I am out $200 for granite tile and no way to put it down!

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
04-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi Linde,
you might want to look into the
Schluter Rondec - Step (http://www.schluter.com/2_8_rondec_step.aspx) or the Rondec - Ct (http://www.schluter.com/2_8_rondec_ct.aspx) .

both are great ways to edge counters a cheaper way then bullnosing & polishing.

kerdibird
04-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Amen

jgleason
04-24-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm using the Rondec Step for the first time this week. Bought four 8' pieces at the local HD. $24 each. Ordered the outside corners from www.tile-experts.com because HD didn't have them. Cost for outside corners was $12.72 each. You can see some pics if you click on the link to my kitchen project in my signature below...

Marge
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Linde, welcome to the forum. :)

Where did you come up with $17 per foot for bullnosing, the original bid? Have you called around to fabricators? Around here it is about $4-5 a foot....and worth it for the look. I know most other areas are in the $8 range average.

Your appliances will look wonderful with Baltic Brown..a very nice complement to one another.

Also, the biggest advice I would give with a granite tile counter install is patience. Take your time to make sure everything is truly level to avoid lippage. And you might like to take a little time in sorting through the tiles to match up pattern a bit. I'm more anal than most about that kind of thing, but it can really help give it a slab look.

When do we get pitchers? :D