several questions re: travertine shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : several questions re: travertine shower

rusty
04-21-2008, 05:25 PM
hi all,

i'm getting ready to gut my ceramic shower and replace with some travertine tiles that i picked up at home depot. a few questions:

1) i've heard mixed opinions on the porousness of travertine. will i be fine with it in a shower, assuming i seal it all?

2) this stuff is heavy...do i need to use something different to adhere it to the ceiling? what is the best way to install heavy tile like this on a ceiling?

3) i see tons of showers using tile like this, but i've never really noticed how they finish the edges (where normal ceramic shower tiles have the matching bullnose tiles for the edges of the shower). what are my options for having a nice looking edge around the shower entrance?

thanks a bunch...

Sponsored Links

mctile
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Rusty-

1. Travertine is great for showers and wet areas. The porosity is very much dependent on the quality of travertine you buy. Spend a few extra bucks for a solid travertine with minimal filler.

2. The best thing you can do for the ceiling is make sure it is as planar as possible. This will make for good suction when set with thin-set using a notch trowel.

3. Bullnose the tile yourself or send them out to get done. Your local tile distributer will be able to point you in the right direction to get this done.

T Hawg Tile
04-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi Rusty,

1. I assume your talking about the cheaper Mexican travertine that is indeed very porous. You can use this stone but keep in mind there is more then usual up keep for this particular product. You will have to Squeegee walls after each use and apply sealer every three to six months depending on the porosity of your stone. I recommend using Miracle sealant 511 impregnator or 511 porous plus.

2. I recommend using Mapei Ultralite Mortar, it is a lightweight, premium-grade, multipurpose thin-set mortar
that also can be used for medium-bed and nonsag applications.
Ultralite Mortar is approved for use with natural stone and light-colored grouts.
Polymer-enriched for high performance
Nonsag formula for large porcelain tile and natural stone

3. If you want to save money you can polish and bullnose the stone yourself using a orbital sanded with diffirent grit sand paper or go to your local granite/ stone fabricator where they will be set up to take care of you.

rusty
04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
thanks for the great advice, guys.

my travertine wasn't too expensive, but it says it's from Turkey. i guess i'll try to toss some water on there and test it out.

i've done quite a bit of tile work before, but never any ceilings. i was worried about the travertine coming loose after i set it. hopefully it's not a problem.

i didn't know places would bullnose the travertine for you. i'll call around tomorrow.

thanks!