Impact test: industry test? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Impact test: industry test?

ron in sc
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I was told there is no industry standard or testing for tile impact resistance. Is this true? I'm not concerned with break strength test since it's not helpful for determining how much of an impact a tile will take before it breaks or chips.

I've done some impact testing by dropping tools and the like on different tile but my testing is not that controlled or scientific.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
04-21-2008, 10:13 AM
IMPACT RESISTANCE (ASTM C 368-Modified)
Establishes the tiles resistance to chipping with an impact of a 1/16" diameter striker.

Ceramic Tile Association of America (CTIOA) report on Counter Top Glazed and Unglazed Ceramic Tile #CTIOA-81-7 (R-98)

I know that the ASTM Standards will have probably tested it, but you probably dont need to know about all this stuff just as long as your tile passes the American National Standards Institute's (ANSI) and International Standards Organization's (ISO) specifications for ceramic tile and installation (such as the ANSI A 137.1 and ANSI A108/A118/A136.1),

belletile
04-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Ron
Just curious why you need to know? Do you do your dusting with a hammer?
Michael

ceramictec
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
lol :lol1:

RubberFrog
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Maybe he wears tap shows?

ceramictec
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
golf shoes ?
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/kazook/_DSC0910.jpg

ron in sc
04-22-2008, 06:06 AM
Ron
Just curious why you need to know? Do you do your dusting with a hammer?
Michael

I built a large one car garage/hobby shop, and Iím going to get a Rotary lift installed as soon as I get my flooring figured out. Itís a pretty nice garage, 200 amp service, heating and A/C, bathroom, washer dryer hook up. The thing is it is a garage and the floor will be subject to abuse. I think tile looks nicer than epoxy and if I can find a suitable tile I may go the tile route.

Since the tile manufacterer companies donít provide impact resistance data for the tiles Iíve looked at Iím kind of on my own. I tested some by doing things that actually happen or could happen in my workshop. I dropped different tools and the like from various heights, from 2 to 6 feet. I even dropped a 25 lb. lead brick on them. The tiles that did the best were able to withstand having a pipe wrench dropped on them from a height of 6 feet without breaking or cracking with one of them not even chipping much. The pipe wrench is what destroyed the other tiles. They did pretty good with the other stuff even the lead brick.

Hammy
04-22-2008, 06:17 AM
were these tile thinsetted down for the tests? Hammy

nforcer2
04-22-2008, 06:36 AM
poor coverage and impact=broken tiles. If they are fully supported by thin-set there is less likelihood of that kinda thing happening. How long did the thin-set cure before you started dropping stuff on it?

ceramictec
04-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Ron,

what Robert said.
even if you have the slightest air bubble from a trowel spread line under the tile and hit right on it with the wrench it's gonna crack.
also you need to make sure the thinset is totally cured and you have 100% coverage on the tile.

most through body porcelain tile will chip when stuff is dropped on them but wont look as bad as a glazed ceramic tile once the glaze is chipped off.

Lazarus
04-22-2008, 07:58 AM
I took a pic of this while attending the Schluter Convention last year. Meybe Dave Gobis can explain further.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Lazarus/sxhluterconvention07028.jpg

ron in sc
04-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I did use thinset. Allowed 24 hr. to dry. Applied thinset to floor and also back buttered the tile.

CRB
04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Ron - have you seen the McClaren team 'workshop'? Take a look at link.
Colin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM5BTbrJh_k

jadnashua
04-22-2008, 04:15 PM
At 24-hours, the thinset is still very soft and not providing its stated strength. Cement products are spec'ed at 28-days, and continue to get harder and stronger for nearly forever. The cement in the Hoover dam is still generating heat, which is an indication that it is still curing and that's what, 80-years?

ron in sc
04-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Ron - have you seen the McClaren team 'workshop'? Take a look at link.
Colin

Is that floor some kind of industrial expoxy with a clearcoat finish on top?

CRB
04-23-2008, 01:47 AM
Ron,
Well I dont know the specifics of any coatings but it is all tiled, and I assume its a porecelain tile of top grade commercial use type (Mapei was the adhesives supplier and consultant). It's some place huh - not a spot of grease to be seen!
I think if you are trying to find the best performing tile for your place to get onto a supplier that is used to supplying commercial / industrial projects. They will be able to spec a tile thats up to the job.
Colin