I need advice on a saw please [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on a saw please

parttimetileman
04-19-2008, 12:19 PM
My saw broke a few months ago and I have been lucky enough to borrow a friends Dewalt for a while now but had to give it back. I had a job to start yesterday (16" slate) and had to buy a saw in a hurry w/ little budget. Against my better judgement I went w/ the Husky THD950. The features it claimed were great for the price ($287 tax & all). Well I put it together (pretty easy, less than 30 min.) and started work @ noon. I got home last night @ 10:00 after finishing the "huge" 75' mud room. Long story short, the saw is going back!! I don't know for sure if was the slate, the blade that came w/ saw, or if it is just a piece of junk. HD also had one of there rentals for sale that I looked at. It was an MK 101 w/ stand for $393 + tax. It was put in service March of '05 and looked like it was in pretty good shape, the only problem was it had know type of warranty or return policy (which means if it broke tomorrow I'm just SOL!) After yesterday, I'm ready to take back the Husky and buy the MK. I still have a 300' kitchen to do w/ the same slate!! My biggest problem is the MK only cuts 14" diagonal, and of course, the warranty.

Any suggestions??

Mark

Sponsored Links

Tom Tee
04-19-2008, 12:26 PM
A good tool makes the job go sooooo much better. If you are going to still be a part time tiler for some time to come, IMO, bite the bullet and get something decent. I do not believe you will regret it down the road.
tt

Jason_Butler
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
I've owned a number of MK saws and currently have a Felker. Both are really good products. I had the MK101. Only problem I ever had was the switch went out. You will need to keep the slides greased so the table will move freely but that's about it.

The Felker that I have does not have the slide type mechanism. It's a big plus

Jason

RevBubba
04-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I had the MK101. Only problem I ever had was the switch went out.

This is a very common problem. The MK-101 uses a little rubber condom that screws on directly over the switch - the purpose of this part is to keep water out of the switch. Most folks wear out or break the little condom, allowing water to enter the switch and eventually ruin it.

Just 2 weeks ago I replaced my 20-something-year-old MK-101's bad switch. The condom had broken, allowing water into the switch, and it rusted out from the inside.

I ordered a replacement switch AND the little rubber condom directly from MK. The little rubber condom cost under $3 for the part. IMO, it does not pay to replace the switch without replacing the condom... in fact, I ordered 3 of the condoms because I know I'll go through at least 3 of them before the switch goes bad - as long as I swap out the condoms as they break.

Just thought this info might allow someone to get more life out of their motor switch. ;)

Porkface
04-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Bubba,

If the MK saw has the metal toggle switches I think you're referring to, you can buy the "switch condoms" at Radio Shack.

gueuzeman
04-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Buy the dewalt, and never be sorry. Mine came "free" with my partner, but I'd be kidding if I didn't admit it was an extra plus in my decision to take him on.

Bubba, all this talk of broken condoms, how many kids do you have? :lol1:

gueuze

java
04-20-2008, 10:02 AM
I got sick of replacing switches and just got a foot pedal.

Jason_Butler
04-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah a broken condom is never a good thing :ducttape:

parttimetileman
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
So I was gonna buy the Felker fts-150 but I was told they were on backorder and couldn't be received until 2nd week in May. I ended taking the Husky back to HD. As most of you probably know HD is having a sale on power tools. spend $149-$299= $30 off, $300-$499= $60 off, $500-$699= $100 off, $700-$1999= $150 off, and $2000 or more = $400 off (purchases can be combined). So the flyers, website, tv adds, and everything say it is on all power tools (w/ a few exclusions but not wet saw). So I go to by the Husky (which was $299), and picked up $37 circular saw because I thought I was going to get it for $7 (after the $60 off since I spent over $300). Well, the discount didn't apply to wet saw because it was located in "flooring". Talk about pissed off!! So I put the circular saw back and begin to complain. The manager did end up taking 10% off so I got the saw for $283. So when I took the saw back I talked them into doing the same thing for the Ridgid which was $697+ tax, so I got it for $671 including tax. Anyway, all that to say I ended buying the Ridgid. I used it all day today, and I FREAKING LOVE IT!! I had no problems and it did everything it says it can do. After a little adjustment of the laser, I barely used my pencil all day! I was only doing a 4x4 travertine backsplash, but cut like a dream and the led light came in handy when it got dark. It does everything the Dewalt can do and more. Obviously the laser and led light are 2 things, but the stand folds into a dolly for the saw (which knocks out 1 of the 2 negatives i've heard). So besides being heavier, and dripping more water, I say it is better than the Dewalt. It also comes w/ a 3 year warranty. I can't wait to do the 300' of slate now!!

Thanks for everyones comments,

Mark