Exterior Deck - Tiling [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Deck - Tiling

Rob13
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi All,

I'm thinking of starting a new proejct that I was hoping for some advice on it feasibility.

I live in a bi-level house. The kitchen in on teh upper floor with a wooden deck off the kitchen. I was interested in getting ideas on if it would be possible to tile this deck. Thie much I know:

The deck is solid...there are ample foundational supports and the beams are tied into the house joists.

I know I would need to pull up the plank and lay some type of exterior grade plywood. After that, I'mn lost.

I also live in New Jersey. We have wide variations in temperature. Summer could go to 100 and in winter could go below 0.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help,

Rob

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
04-18-2008, 01:58 PM
is there living space underneath this deck?

or is it juust a deck off the home?

the planks will definetily have to go and plywood with waterproofing be done prior to the tile install.

I do decks with: plywood, thinset, cementboard,thinset, Noble Deck, thinset & tile

Rob13
04-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Underneath is a patio that is off the ground level of the house. It is outside space.

What kind of tiles, thin set would you recommend?

Does the deck need to be sloped?

What size and type of plywood?

ceramictec
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
being its outside you have to make sure your tile can withstand freeze/thaw conditions.

ie: porcelain, quarry tile & pavers.

your deck should be sloped for water run off

a modified thinset will do.

Rob13
04-19-2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks for your responses so far...

how do you slope a deck that is level?

What size (thickness) plywood? I was think it would have to be 5/8 exterior grade? Do you think I would need 3/4?

The joists are 16 OC I believe.

bbcamp
04-19-2008, 07:41 AM
The slope must be at least 1/4" per foot. You can slope the deck by attaching tapered strips to the tops of the joists, or you can install plywood, then add a deck mud base. Both options mean you need a lot of clearance at the door.

All things considered, I would not tile this deck. Freeze/thaw conditions in the soil will cause enough movement in the deck structure to crack the tile.