Bathroom leak [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom leak

Farmall
04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Hello,

I'm sort of an amateur handyman. I'm finishing up a remodel of a medical office. I stripped the space back to the concrete floor and steel studs, scarified, put down Schluter and then 20" ceramic tile. Put up new walls (curved) and on and on. It looks good. I like to do things right. But that's not why I'm writing.

One of the people has a rental that had the upstairs toilet go over and now the living room ceiling needs new drywall. Apparently the tenant didn't know that paper towels don't go in the crapper. So I got the job. As one who doesn't like to go back and do something I've already done, I wonder if there's a way to contain or drain the water if it ever goes over again. This will no doubt be a complete tear-out of the bathroom as they figure this is a good time to spruce it up and maybe troll for a better grade of renter.

I understand about sealing the underlayment, etc., and I'll do that, but in my way of thinking, that just lets the water go out the bathroom door. Anybody ever put in a floor drain? Ideas?

Thanks a lot, Bill

Sponsored Links

ScottIdaho
04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
A floor drain would require a slope in the floor to work. Usually 1/4" per foot.

This seems like overkill on a residential bathroom, but have at it if they want it.

Wasn't there a shutoff valve at the toilet. Make it a 1/4 turn ball valve, and the mess from an overflow would never be severe. Better yet, put it up on the wall above the toilet and label it "EMERGENCY TOILET SHUTOFF".

bbcamp
04-18-2008, 06:47 AM
I don't think you'd need to slope the floor for a floor drain whose only purpose is to catch a major overflow event. You would need to seal all the floor penetrations and the wall to floor joints, as well as add a curb to the bathroom door. The drain needs a trap primer to ensure there is sufficient water in the trap to keep the sewer gases at bay.

Hammy
04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
If you dont slope the floor 1/4" per foot..... how do you get it to drain and dry out?????? Did i miss something here?????????? Hammy

bbcamp
04-18-2008, 07:01 AM
No, you didn't. This isn't a shower, it's a bathroom floor. Standing water on a bathroom floor isn't normal, but an unusual event. Complete drainage is not required, containment is.

That said, having a bit of a depression in the floor around the drain is a good idea.

Hammy
04-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Ok slap my hand. I read too many posts and had the thoughts running together. Youre right. Floor drains typical for 2nd floor commerical restrooms. Ive got a pic to post of that. Hammy