Shower with Seat [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower with Seat

tcontic
04-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Hello!

I'm renovating our master bathroom and would like to build a tile shower with integral seat. My question is what is the minimum/comfortable size for a shower of this type?

I don't want it to feel cramped but I'm also limited in size by other factors.

Also, what are the minimum clearances around a toilet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
04-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Hi Tom, I think minimum is a relative Term to how big you are.Whats comfortable for me may not be For one of our other moderators ROB Z.He's a giant in knee pads ;)
I can tell you that for your stool a 28" wide space is nice and to have a bit of knee room40-42" out from the wall without any obstruction would be a bare minimum for me.

As far as your shower goes,if you are putting in a corner seat like a better bench or corian inset.these are not very large and are more for women to shave thier legs than a practical seat.Now a Monolith like John describes in the liberry can be built to any size you want so can become a comfortable seat.a 36" wide shower works well with standard 5' width PVC liner and any length can be achieved.wider is certainly doable but i dont think for an average sized person is really necessary.Consider a 3x4 shower minimum if you want a seat that can actually be sat on though :)
Hope this helps.Check out our liberry for great info on building a shower the right way!! Todd

John Bridge
04-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Hi Tom,

For a bench across the end of the shower, I think the shower has to be at least four feet long. My is four and one half and it's roomy.

As Todd mentioned, though, hardly anyone actually sits on a tile or marble seat. They tend to be cold on the bum bum. :D

I have come out with a miniature version I sell around Houston that I call a foot rest, just big enough for a foot, a bar of soap and a razor. :)