Tile over wood? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over wood?

patrice9845
02-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi. I need some expert advice, please. I have built a cabinet for a laundry room sink. At first I thought I would put primer and (oil base) paint on the solid wood top. But I really love tile and have some left over from the 2 bathrooms I built. Can I install tile on top of solid wood? I do have some backer board left over but I really HATE to work with that stuff. Scoring and snapping it never gives me the cut I want.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
best to install cementboard and tile with thinset.

HS345
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Hello Patrice, Sorry, but you shouldn't tile over solid wood. Is it really solid wood, or plywood? Either way, you shouldn't tile directly over it, but it may make a difference as to what substrate you want to use. :)

patrice9845
02-29-2008, 08:30 PM
It is solid wood.

I know the correct way would be to cover it with 15# roofing felt. Then 1/4" Hardi Backer, then tile with thinset. Guess I'm just wishing someone would say I didn't have to do all that.

Is there a better way to cut Hardi Backer? Scoring only works on a straight edge and it eats jigsaw blades bare very quickly.

HS345
02-29-2008, 08:35 PM
If you don't have an angle grinder, you can get carbide grit blades for your jigsaw. Like these. (http://www.mytoolstore.com/starrett/jig002.html#carbide)