Shower advice? Pan help [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower advice? Pan help

jereme
02-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Good morning!
Looking for a little help here. I have completely gutted my shower. I have installed the backer, the pan liner and the curb. My question is about the order of things now that the above is complete.
Like I said, the liner is in, but I have not "graded" the slope to the drain yet. A tile guy here in town has told me to tile the walls first and then to grade the mortar over the pan? Is that an OK order of doing things?
If I do it this way, I would tile the walls down to the bottom of the backer (1/2" off the liner) and then do the grade.
Thoughts?

Sponsored Links

MudGuy
02-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Jereme -

Did you install a pre-slope under your pan membrane?

jereme
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
No, the concrete is level under the pan liner. I had read other posts that stated, and so did the tile guy that I talked to, that you could lay the pan liner and then slope the grade to the drain on top of the liner.

MudGuy
02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Jereme -

Sorry, you'll need a pre-slope under that pan membrane. Pre-slope directs the water to the weep holes in the drain.

Everything you ever needed to know is right here. Maybe pass it along to your local tile guy, too.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5434

:)

imunwell2
02-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm no expert, but I don't think you'll get too many around here to agree with that.

Man, your fast MudGuy! you beat me to the punch. :tup1:
I had a tile guy here try to tell me the same thing. At first I was trying to get him to do the pan. After he told me that, I told him I'd do it myself. He said he had never heard of it being done with a pre-slope. :bonk:

jereme
02-29-2008, 10:43 AM
OK. So, I was just at the store buying my tile and I spoke with 2 different tile installers and they suggested that it would be no problem to have the liner down first and then to slope the pan to the drain????
I value all of your opinions and appreciate your advice.
It is just a matter of preference on the order?
I have heard both arguments and understand them both.
What would be the disadvantages to doing it the way that I have done?
Thanks again for your help.

jereme

ccarlisle
02-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Because IMO without a slope to the liner, you will get accumulation of water going nowhere; this causes the mud to be constantly wet and thus prone to mould. The mud must dry out from time to time and as quickly as possible.

imunwell2
02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Jereme,
It seems that you are having a hard time believing that the method mentioned here is correct, or if someone here has just came up with this method. Below is a link that will show you the installation of the Oatey shower drain that show it being done exactly as stated here. I hope this helps in your decision process.

oatey shower drain installation procedure (http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/How_to_Use/ShowerPanLiner.pdf)

Good Luck!