Greenie wants to remove/install tile backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Greenie wants to remove/install tile backsplash

Dave G2
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I am new to this site--really new, like 30 minutes new. I read some of the posts and must say I am excited to have found a forum that seems to have participants who give really good sound advice.

I am a real greenie when it comes to tile, I have never tiled anything.
I am having new countertops installed by a professional, either granite or quartz, and I want to install a new tile backsplash myself. The existing countertops are laminate and the backsplash is tiled--tiles meet the countertops, no 4 inch backsplash coming up from the counter.

I will greatly appreciate any advice. I do plan to research as much as possible before I jump into the project.

Couple of questions:

1. Rather than trying to demo the entire backsplash, would it be a good idea to just take out say the perimeter tiles and then cut out the old backsplash and install new drywall? I ask this because the tiles on there now are really solidly glued to the wall.

2. Forgot to ask my contractor which should be installed first, the new backsplash or the new countertops. My thought is the countertops first, to help ensure there is no gap between the counterop and the backsplash.

Once again, I appreciate any advice you have. I look forward to visiting this forum often. After the backsplash I need to tackle my entry way--the tile there is cracking and sounds hollow--but that's a whole other story, more on that later.

Thanks,

Dave G2

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
02-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Definitely counters first. You may remove the backsplash and drywall as one unit. I do that often. You can replace the old substrate with CBU or drywall. Either is acceptable for the dry area

Jason

tileman2000
02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Dave,welcome to the forum.

1.If you can't remove the tile easily without damaging the wall behind it you're better off doing as you said,removing the perimeter tiles and removing the drywall.

2.The counter needs to be installed before the tile.Once you do start tiling,the tile needs to be about 1/8 from the counter and caulked.

Anymore questions and we're here walk you through this project and that next project you mentioned in your entry way.