2nd bathroom question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bathroom question

TENNsmokey
02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm trying to find out if it's ever possible to redo a shower from the floor above? I'm including a pitcher but I don't know if it will show that it's a lead pan in a mud lathe using a cast iron pipe? In other words built in the 1960's not wanting to move existing drain but would I'd like to do it from upstairs seeing how when I finished my downstairs I used drywall ceilings. I'd rather not tear out down there for access if possible? Any pointers or gotchas would be appreciated

Sponsored Links

Marge
02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
John, welcome back (and thanks for the final pitcher on your old thread). We'll get some help over here for you...hang on. :)

TENNsmokey
02-28-2008, 11:19 PM
No problem,and thx Marge I'm not in a hurry . I appreciated all the help on the last one and I thought I'd see what other people thought of doing one this way. I'd probably be better off planing on cutting an access hole to verify leakage anyways but it never hurts to ask right? :)

cx
02-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm trying to find out if it's ever possible to redo a shower from the floor above? C'mon, Joseph, that a trick question? :scratch:

From the floor that's above the shower? Surely you mean from the floor the shower is on, no? But I don't understand that question, either, on accounta you surely know that people on here do that every day.

So, out with it. What's the real question? :D

MudGuy
02-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi John -

Yes, you can do a complete shower demo/remo from above. Just so I understand your question correctly, what are you wanting to do?

TENNsmokey
02-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Yep that's the question sorry for the confusion. I'd like to see if anyone has had to do one like this with no access underneath? Possible ?

MudGuy
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
John -

All the time, you're good to go.

I would be careful removing/demo'ing the old mud pan. You don't want to swing a sledge hammer through your subfloor.

:D

cx
02-28-2008, 11:43 PM
John, it's done every day. Really it is. :)

Plenty time we got concrete slab on grade. Really tough not to do those from the top, eh? :D

TENNsmokey
02-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks CX and Sorry Jonathan I didn't see your question. What I want to do is basically what I have without the mold and outdated 4 x 4 tiles and add heated flooring. Them there rascals is cold about now.I think I might want to add a bench and a recess niche. I've been looking at the Schluter Kits but I would entertain Noble or anything else that would hold up without leaking down the road :bow: