Better Bench Oops [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Better Bench Oops

baf3472
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
In my haste to finish installing the first two starter course of tiles before a few days out of town, I forgot to install my 18" corner better bench :uhh:
This was done about 4 days ago on a kerdi shower with 9" x 18" travertine tiles. Any way i could install this bench without having to cut out the tiles?? Would it be acceptable to just grind out the area where the bench will meet the wall and redguard it?? Can i install the bench over the tile??
thanx in advance

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
02-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Tommy,

Installing a Better Bench after tiles have been installed is an acceptable installation method. Just follow the manufacturer instructions; it should work out fine. :tup2:

ceramictec
02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
When should I install the bench, before I start tiling?

Better-Bench is an extremely adaptable system. You may install the product over the finish tile at any time. However, the optimum method would be to mount the product directly to the face of the substrate. This may be done before you begin tiling the wall, or for an additional advantage, you may begin tiling and then when you get to the course of tile where you wish to mount the bench, take a few minutes and mount the bench at this time. Then finish your wall tile and fill and tile the bench at the end (this method may save a few cuts of tile and eliminates the need to reach under the bench to lay tile).

baf3472
02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Other than making sure i fill the drilled holes with silicone is there any other waterproofing that is needed? thanx

baf3472
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Shameless bump :yipee:

ceramictec
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
i don't see anything else you could do.
after you drill the hole, fill them with silicone, screw in the Better bench and rub silicone all over the heads and top edge of bench against the wall. tile, grout and your good.

jadnashua
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
The installation instructions, if you don't have them, check the manufacturer's website, specifically say it works just as well over on in the tiled wall. The problem you'll have is getting the molly bolts to tighten up easily since the points won't dig into the tile or frame. You have to get creative with some pliers to get them to lock in place nice and tight. It calls for the deck mud to be sloped away from the wall, and caulk at the back edge...works fine, lasts a long time...

baf3472
03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanx for all the help. I had installed blocking when i was framing out so the molly bolts wont be a problem. Again, thanx to everyone for all their help.