estimate [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : estimate

3pupmom
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
We just got an estimate for installing a tub surround, 3x6 white subway tiles, with a 3 inch accent stripe of glass at eye level. The glass would cover 2.5 square feet and the subway tiles would cover 50 square feet. The cost of purchase is approximately $150 for the glass and $250 for the subway tiles. The estimate I received was for $2300. Seems really high to me. Is this the going rate for professional tilers?

Lacie

Sponsored Links

JTG
02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Lacie
If that is just to install the tile yes but does the bid also include removal and disposal of the existing and prep of all surfaces to receive new tile?
Where in the country are you located?
My bid would be in that range plus setting materials and wall prep materials.
Good Luck
JTG

3pupmom
02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks Jerry,

We are in PA. We demo-ed the bathroom and put up the tile backer ourselves. Seems to be too much, considering.

Thanks for your input.

Lacie

Deckert
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I think its a little high considering you did the demo, and hung the backer.

But keep in mind, I dont live in your area and don't know the market where you live.

Sounds like you already did the tough parts, might as well set the tile your self! :)

johntrent
02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Laci - did you put up any type of moisture barrier behind the underlayment or will the installer be using a membrane or liquid applied waterproofing?

Hard to say without knowing all the details - if you did all the demo & installed the cbu - seems to me you may have the "gumption" needed to tackle the tiling also - you can ask any & all questions you may have here and I promise you - you will get honest answers with enough info to walk you thru a tub hop install....then you can make the decision about whether or not the price was too high....

Just something to think about.

scuttlebuttrp
02-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Like others are saying; we don't know all the details, so I don't like to comment on others pricing.
It is a good idea to get two or three bids when you hire someone though.
Get a couple more bids, check references, and use the best installer for your situation.
Or try taking a crack at it yourself.

tileguytodd
02-27-2008, 05:04 AM
Lacie......Like the others have said, we do not know all the circumstances having not Seen the job. There are a lot of variables.

Here is what I CAN tell you.

Subway tiles are a tedious & Time consuming installation to get a Nice job, particullarly with some brands.

I did not hear what type of Grout you were going to use which is also a variable.....Epoxy grout is more expensive to purchase AND to install. It never requires periodic sealing however and is worth exploring since it will save you alot of effort over the years in cleaning.

So tell me, Are you 50 miles out in the country on a 5 mile long dirt road?

Is this a Second story bathroom and its White carpet all the way from the stairs to the bathroom?

Like I said, Alot of variables and everyone Impacting the bottom line price :)